Main Menu

Recent posts

Computer Gaming / Re: Hegemony III: Clash of the...
Last post by rss334 - Today at 06:02:24 PM
amazing games no question .... buy buy buy
Current Events / Re: Russia's War Against Ukrai...
Last post by JasonPratt - Today at 05:21:25 PM
Well, for a change of pace inspired by the Ukrainian War apparently, but in a truly awful way, let's check in with Korea!

https://youtu.be/2eTvSUJhxuw?t=528

The forum engine wouldn't let me hit the time mark at all with the YT insert button, and YT itself gets spotty doing it this way. But it's at 8:48 of the Enforcer's news update today. Here's the overall link if the other doesn't want to play ball:

(I did test the timing link and it looks correct however.)
Computer Gaming / Re: Campaign Series Vietnam
Last post by Jason Petho - Today at 04:14:04 PM
Well I was able to share some items of good news and go over what I've been working on lately. Then we dove into the disaster of Hue. Depending on how you look at it, it's either good or bad. Well, who am I kidding, it's mostly bad for the ARVN. Yay for paper tigers! It is an interesting way to play the game though, HOTSEAT. I recommend it when you're looking for a different kind of challenge. I still prefer playing the Scripted AI or a human though!

General Discussion / Re: Divorce! Well this sucks.
Last post by Womb4t - Today at 12:26:44 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on April 07, 2022, 11:40:27 PMI know I'd mentioned in other threads I'm going through a divorce. 

It was, actually really big thing for me, and still is.  It's been not as ugly as some have gone through I suppose but it's had its downs.

Anyone that knows me knows how much my wife was part of my identity. 

I wasn't going to do a full topic on this but I got messaged by another esteemed Grog and friend going through the same if we could possibly start a thread about this. 

I won't call him out but I expect he'll be posting toot sweet.

Anyway, I'll share a bit more but yeah, I spent the week in Orlando.  My paperwork was final in Feb.  Moving out finally on Monday.  Don't judge me but I think I have a girlfriend now..

Thank you for sharing your experience, and I'm glad you feel comfortable opening up about what you've been going through. Divorce can indeed be a significant and challenging life transition, and it's normal to experience a range of emotions during this time.
General Discussion / Re: Humor... where did you get...
Last post by Womb4t - Today at 12:25:25 PM
I think from internet, if it's right to say.
General Discussion / Re: Interesting YouTube videos
Last post by Womb4t - Today at 12:22:19 PM
I found quite interesting the videos of a man who teaches you what a boy should learn from a father. It's called 
Dad, how do I?
General Discussion / Re: WANT!
Last post by Womb4t - Today at 12:17:42 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 08, 2013, 06:41:37 AMA new thread of things we want...

A new camera to capture life's precious moments with clarity and creativity.
General Discussion / Re: The Boring Thread
Last post by Womb4t - Today at 12:14:58 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on April 25, 2024, 12:21:36 PMLast night I cleaned the dryer filter by scraping away the lint build up.  Sometimes I just leave the piles of lint on top of the dryer.  Only after the pile gets too big do I force myself to throw them out into a nearby trash bin. 

Anybody got any good boring stories to share?  I mean, boring stories should be told as much as the exciting ones, no?

Today, I went to the grocery store and spent what felt like an eternity trying to decide between two brands of pasta sauce. I stood there in the aisle, meticulously comparing ingredients and nutritional information, only to realize that they were practically identical. In the end, I randomly picked one and moved on to the next item on my list. It wasn't the most thrilling experience, but hey, it's a small slice of everyday life!
Last post by Uberhaus - Today at 11:38:40 AM
Kazakhstan has sold Soviet aircraft to the U.S., likely to go to Ukraine for decoys and spares. https://ca.news.yahoo.com/us-buys-81-soviet-era-145127753.html

Not a great success for their old Russian masters, who see Nazism at work. 
QuoteSecretary of State Antony Blinken visited the central Asian country in March 2023, where he said that the US "strongly supports Kazakhstan's sovereignty, its independence, its territorial integrity," according to news agency AFP.

Some of Russia's outspoken propagandists have suggested that Russia should look to Kazakhstan next following its invasion of Ukraine.

One notable Russian TV commentator, Vladimir Solovyov, said that his country "must pay attention to the fact that Kazakhstan is the next problem because the same Nazi processes can start there as in Ukraine."
Last post by Uberhaus - Today at 11:08:16 AM
Quote from: Con on Today at 12:44:46 AMThat should work and is a pretty low cost solution that allows them to keep AD on the front lines
Id say both sides have an innate sense of ingenuity around this war that NATO and others should take note of
Con
It looks like it could defeat smaller drones, however, a heavier drone in a vertical dive wouldn't be stopped by the 2-3" steel pipe.  Hopefully, the Russians will be wasting a tremendous amount of resources on this that could otherwise be directed to the direct fighting.  Maybe they could top the structure off with a solid disk of 6" thick steel to protect against kamikaze dives!
I'm not sure if the towers are new with ECM capability; there are three of them (two with antennas) but maybe someone in the know can say they are just for diverting lightning.

As to curbing innovation, the US criticized China during its high level meetings.  https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-68905475
QuoteMr Blinken told the BBC that one of the key routes for "better relations" between China and both the US and Europe would be for Beijing "or some of its enterprises" to stop providing "critical components" that help Russia make more munitions. The components include items such as "machine tools, micro-electronics, and optics".

"It's helping Russia perpetuate its aggression against Ukraine, but it's also creating a growing threat to Europe because of Russia's aggression," he explained, adding it was "helping to fuel the biggest threat to [Europe's] insecurity since the end of the Cold War".

"We've taken action already against Chinese entities that are engaged in this," he said. "And what I make clear today is that if China won't act, we will."

Mr Blinken - who hinted at sanctions as a possible route - was keen to stress that China was not directly supplying Russia with weapons.

Even Canada could have helped the Ukrainian cause greatly by providing an alternative to Russian oil and gas, wrecking the Russian economy.  However, the PM would not.  https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/touting-clean-energy-pm-trudeau-questions-business-case-for-exporting-liquefied-natural-gas-to-europe-1.6037556  Even after being approached by German, Japanese and US leadership, the Canadian PM would not go back on his anti-petroleum campaign.  This was short sighted because he would have had considerable leverage to forge a new international agreement to develop technology to reduce and eliminate carbon release, rather than clinging to the broken Kyoto Protocols that only he follows.  This is pie in the sky, but imagine a summit led by US, German, Japanese and even Canadian leadership to tackle Russian aggression and carbon emission.

No, I am not smoking what he decriminalized.