WWII Europe v108 Contents

Started by rdockal, April 28, 2016, 09:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdockal

Hello,

Thought I would post the content of v108 so far. These items have been implemented and tested. I have also made improvements to the air and naval AI that are not shown.  I have several other items in mind, mostly in the area of ground AI.

World War II Europe
Patch version 1.0.8 Content
1. The combat markers and temporary markers are now reset at the end of each turn.
2. Added list of Russian airfields on Turn 1 in scenario #42 to the Help file.
3. AF of less than zero is displayed as zero.
4. Display OOB has three options. Mouse left click selects the unit and centers the low level map on it.  Mouse right click
allocates HQ Reserve to the unit.  Select the Display OOB or Cancel icons to continue with the game.
5. Fixed bug on Naval Supply ops, Axis only, scenarios 3,4,8,10,11,12,26-32,33-41 and 101.
6. Changed AI self imposed limit from one Naval S&D op per hex to three. Ensures coverage of key areas.
7. Changed the AI so that it follows the weather rule of no ops in storm weather at destination hex. Changed both Naval
and Air ops.
8. Selection of HQ unit for Change HQ Unit ops is now done from the Command Panel.  WWIIE displays the friendly on map
HQ units within 12 hexes for selection. Previously the player selected a hex, and the game selected the top HQ unit in
that hex.
9. A message is displayed for each unit being transferred from the scenario next turn, and one for current turn transfers.

New scenario development includes 36, 37 and 38.  39 is currently in development.  I would like to complete 40 and 41 and release with v108.

v108 is a significant delivery of capability and new battles.

Ron

Agent Smith

Boggit

It sounds good. I know these things can be a bit "how long is a piece of string", but any rough guess for an ETA on the patch/update?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Franciscus

Bring it on.
I wouldn't mind some kind of "public beta" with the changes so far implemented to be made available though... :)

Regards

rdockal

Hard to predict when v108 will be released.  I can determine the number of hours to build the three scenarios, but the improvement of the ground AI is non deterministic.

Best guess would be six weeks.

Ron

Boggit

Thanks Ron. It's nice to have a vague notion of when it'll turn up, but don't stress yourself over it. Best just to get it right. O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Schwerpunkt Valencia

Hi Ron,

Great to hearing you are working on the next update.

There are some few bugs / enhancements I would like to suggest:

1) Air rebase: whilst rebasing some air units I found out you could carry out other air operations in the same turn.

2) Overrunning air bases: why air units do not get destroyed or at least get hits when their air bases are overrun by enemy units. Same question when you are attacking them and there is an air HQ.

3) Entrenched or fortified ground units: do entrenched or fortified ground units have any bonus against air bombing ?

4) Air bombing effect on movement: is there any effect on ground units subject to air bombing ?

5) Replacements: amount of replacements seem to be meagre or at least nil in several scenarios. Also Minor Axis units have no replacement points at all (Italy, Hungary, etc)

6) Minor Axis air units: I noticed that minor Axis powers have no air units at all in the 1942 scenarios.

Thanks for taking in considerations these comments.

Best regards

Schwerpunkt Valencia

rdockal

That is an interesting list.  Thank you for putting it together.

1) I'll take a look.  That should not be allowed.
2) For the attacks on air units on the ground, the general concept is that the air units would rebase to the nearest friendly airfield.  If no friendly airfield is in range, then the game eliminates them.
3) Already on my v108 list of changes. Probably will be a die roll to determine if a loss is not taken based on the DEF of a unit.
4) I added this to the list of potential enhancements.
5) I'll take a look.
6) I'll take a look.

Ron

rdockal

Made good progress on the Ground Ops AI this weekend, plus I implemented and tested the following items for v108 this weekend:

10. For Air Tactical Ops only: There is a 10% chance that a loss to a ground unit that is dugin will not be allocated,
a 20% chance that a loss to a ground unit that is entrenched will not be allocated, and a 30% chance that a loss to a
ground unit that is fortified will not be allocated.
11. During the Combat Phase, the number of remaining attacks is displayed in the Command Panel. "Combats Left: #".  The
# number is displayed in red text.
12. Made enhancements to the air, naval and ground AI operations.

Ron

Christolos

Hello there Ron and fellow Schwerpunkt WWII Europe enthusiasts. I finally got myself registered on this forum.

I have to admit that I have put WWII Europe on the backburner while waiting for v108.

I am very pleased to see that it is in the works. :)

Any chance Ron, that something will be implemented in terms of the AI being able (with some algorithm) to choose different types of attack modes as discussed here: http://old.wargamer.com/forums/posts.asp?t=590776 ?

Thanks,

C

rdockal

Everything is on the table.  Right now I am implementing an attack posture for each side, and having it affect the aggressiveness of the moves and attacks. Types of attacks would be a natural effect of this concept.  I'll let you know.

Ron

Christolos

That sounds great.

I'm looking forward to hearing more!

It's been awhile since I posted on the old Wargamer forum but I remember a few more items that came up as potentially also being on the table. These were:

1. Reports listed so that they can be viewed by turn rather than a continuous list that just gets added to.

2. Increase modifier based on number of unit types to better model combined arms effect.  I'm thinking that it would  be interesting to see artillery units being considered more important in terms of their strategic deployment in the context of the combined arms approach. Right now the game treats the importance of artillery only in the context of the # of unit types modifier such that if say an infantry unit attacks a given hex with an artillery unit, both units (and any units of the same type if also attacking the same hex) get the positive combat modifier. There is however no additional bonus if say all the other unit types (air, infantry, and ground mech units) attack the same hex with artillery as all it takes is any two different unit types for all attacking units to get the # of unit types modifier.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it could be more interesting if the calculation took into account an additional modifier if there were 3 different unit types attacking the same hex and another additional modifier if there were 4 different unit types attacking the same hex.

This would tend to elevate the importance of artillery (as a unit type) and therefore make its deployment on the map more critical to the outcome of the battle.

3. Will the missing 255 Infantry Division in #46, Operation Typhoon be added as well?

Thanks,

C

rdockal

#2 and #3 are on my v108 list of potential changes.
#1 is a future one.

Ron

Christolos

Super! :)

I saw in a previous post that v109 and v110 are also planned.  :D

I have another small comment to add re naval transporting of units. I noticed when plating the North Africa campaign scenario that submarines and gunboats can transport whole units. Is this by design? It doesn't quite seem appropriate given the limited transport capacity of these units.

Cheers

C

Franciscus

No news ?

Any realistic ETA for v 1.08 ?

Kind of sad to see this game drifting to oblivion...