Game Forge > GameTalk

GameTalk - Role-playing the military

(1/2) > >>

bayonetbrant:
How do role-playing and wargames mesh?

Cyrano:
I play fantasy RPGs 'cuz, well, folks like 'em and I've run my share of Deadlands, but my favorite RPGs have always been rooted in historical military simulation.

1.  GURPS manages this very well.  I've run ancient, medieval, and Napoleonic.

2.  Twilight 2000.  Little more needs be said, I think, other than Frank clearly was designing a wargame when an RPG broke out.

3.  Savage Worlds. It's a miniature skirmish system with an RPG shell around it.   I'm sure Whill Wheaton hates it.  I once had the notion of taking a party -- in a grossly ahistorical way, I'll grant, through the whole of WWII...beginning in ca. 1933.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)

BanzaiCat:
Twilight: 2000 came immediately to mind for me, as well.

I still enjoy occasionally flipping through a sourcebook or module from that game. :)

bayonetbrant:
Yes, T2k came to mind for me, too.  But how good was it as a game?  I haven't played it in 20 years, but I remember it being a pretty mediocre set of RPG rules...

Cyrano:
Depends entirely on what you want from your RPG.

The biggest grievance, bar none, with first ed. was the tracking of EVERY ROUND OF AMMO SPENT.  I can't even imagine...

The combat, which uses a clever telescoping scale depending on the nature of the engagement, is admittedly a bit unintuitive until you had someone explain to you how it's supposed to work.  In my case I pigeon-holed Frank at GenCon and got it done.  It's also very bloody, which strikes me as appropriate.

I'd also note that it comes from a time before more narrative RPGs like Vampire, In Nomine, &c., in that it's quite rules heavy.

I don't know as anyone interested in swords, sorcery, pointless armor, and iron rations would get into it, but, military guys, ex-military guys or green-sniffers (for whom I always figured the game was designed anyway) have always seemed to like it.  My 2LT REMF buddy had a campaign that ran well north of a decade before he switched to Battletech.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version