Main Menu

Listings at Wizards

Started by bayonetbrant, February 08, 2016, 06:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

That has got to be the nerdiest group of people I think I have ever seen in one place.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

I don't understand why Wizards closed down their official forums.  It's just another action IMHO that distances them from their customers and enables them to live in a bubble.

MetalDog

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 08, 2016, 08:33:02 PM
wait 'til Origins...

You mean it gets better?

Quote from: Bison on February 08, 2016, 08:36:54 PM
I don't understand why Wizards closed down their official forums.  It's just another action IMHO that distances them from their customers and enables them to live in a bubble.

I read that the other day.  It perplexed me as well.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on February 08, 2016, 08:36:54 PMI don't understand why Wizards closed down their official forums.  It's just another action IMHO that distances them from their customers and enables them to live in a bubble.

Read the article from the DD5e review thread
They didn't want to feel like they were forcing people into a specific location for forums

bayonetbrant

Bison

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 08, 2016, 08:51:17 PM
Quote from: Bison on February 08, 2016, 08:36:54 PMI don't understand why Wizards closed down their official forums.  It's just another action IMHO that distances them from their customers and enables them to live in a bubble.

Read the article from the DD5e review thread
They didn't want to feel like they were forcing people into a specific location for forums

OK. I'm not buying that line of argument.  What company in their right mind would rather their customers used a third party site to moderate and control discussion of their products.  I don't get it.  I personally think it was a reaction to negative comments.  They'd adopted an aggressive policy of banning critical discussions of game decisions or marketing choices in the year or two leading up to the closing of the forums.  I think the negative reaction toward 4E and a continual bashing of MtGO and paper MtG design decisions lead them to make a decision to avoid confrontation with their customers.   Not to mention years of archived data on their games.   I guess it doesn't really matter perhaps, since most people are tied to those products out of a sense of loyalty or nostalgia regardless of how the company treats them or their pocketbook.  And I say that as someone who has thrown plenty of money their way over the years.