Main Menu

Cold Waters

Started by Thomasew, September 28, 2016, 09:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

Oh no, you do need to work up solutions. Now the computer is doing most of the calcs but you can't just point and fire. With non-guide torps you need to lead and time your shots. The comp. will give you an aiming point based on it's current level of target knowledge. It's current solution strength is displayed as a percentage, 0% bad - 100% perfect.

Toonces

Quote from: mikeck on June 05, 2017, 06:49:51 PM
Is there a requirement that you develope any type of solution at all for your Torps or missiles or basically donyiu just fire down the bearing and auto-boom

So I fired up the 1968 Permit campaign. 

For the wire-guided torps, you can shoot whenever you want.  In my 1984 campaign I shot a single torp down each line of bearing to the targets I had, cut the wires, and all three torps still scored kills.

In the 1968 campaign, those are unguided.  I just estimated the angle off, but that didn't work.  Looked in the manual just now.  So you have to wait until you "develop a solution" to some extent - what extent isn't specified - and then you'll get an "aim point" to shoot the torp to that will hit the target provided the target doesn't change course/speed. 

Getting up to periscope manually isn't hard, it's just a pain.

It was kind of neat going old school with the periscope to ID and shoot a target, then crank on 20 knots to 800' to evade.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Barthheart

Just a few more notes.

You can actually make knuckles. In fact one of the tutorials shows you how. It's hard to do but you can do it.

There are thermal layers and a conditions display will show you where they are, along with established targets and your depth.

There is a waterfall display. The faster you go, the rougher the seas, the more noise in your area the more muddy the display becomes until it's completely washed out. There is a way to search for a specific pattern but after a while I can see this becoming second nature as it was in RSR.... if my brain will still work that way...

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Barthheart on June 05, 2017, 04:13:42 PM
Weird.... downloading it here at my home PC it say it's 731MB...  ???

That's because of the exchange rate.

mirth

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 05, 2017, 07:03:08 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on June 05, 2017, 04:13:42 PM
Weird.... downloading it here at my home PC it say it's 731MB...  ???

That's because of the exchange rate.

Lol
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Barthheart

Quote from: Toonces on June 05, 2017, 06:59:07 PM
Quote from: mikeck on June 05, 2017, 06:49:51 PM
Is there a requirement that you develope any type of solution at all for your Torps or missiles or basically donyiu just fire down the bearing and auto-boom

So I fired up the 1968 Permit campaign. 

For the wire-guided torps, you can shoot whenever you want.  In my 1984 campaign I shot a single torp down each line of bearing to the targets I had, cut the wires, and all three torps still scored kills.

In the 1968 campaign, those are unguided.  I just estimated the angle off, but that didn't work.  Looked in the manual just now.  So you have to wait until you "develop a solution" to some extent - what extent isn't specified - and then you'll get an "aim point" to shoot the torp to that will hit the target provided the target doesn't change course/speed. 

Getting up to periscope manually isn't hard, it's just a pain.

It was kind of neat going old school with the periscope to ID and shoot a target, then crank on 20 knots to 800' to evade.

I think the "solution extent" you need is 95%. At least that's what I got from the tutorial... and I don't think I seen any aim points below 95%....

kludger

Thanks for all the impressions info so far on this thread.

Can you guys who have it tell how deep the campaign is? is there any sort of dynamic skirmish mode?

I think I can swallow the $40 price tag despite the AWSD manual controls as long as it has the long term replayability and depth that RSR had.

Millipede

Quote from: kludger on June 05, 2017, 08:06:27 PM
Thanks for all the impressions info so far on this thread.

Can you guys who have it tell how deep the campaign is? is there any sort of dynamic skirmish mode?

I think I can swallow the $40 price tag despite the AWSD manual controls as long as it has the long term replayability and depth that RSR had.

Ditto.

Bottom line... is it fun?

Barthheart

I'm having fun.... but I was basically looking for a version of Atlantic Fleet set in WWIII with a proper campaign level... that's what I got I think.. at least so far.

Just started a campaign. Took a bunch of pics. Check out the AAR section of the forum. No idea if it's deep but you can do missions and more....  :-"  :-[
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=19714.0

There are some single set scenarios. Doesn't look like there's a "skirmish" mode.

Swatter

Thanks for taking time to put up the screen shots. I am definitely leaning towards a buy.

SirAndrewD

GRAG!  You are a scurrilous band of heathenistic rapscallions devoid of fair morals and even a shred of human decency, prone to skylarkings and degeneracy. 

You made me buy this. 

Actually had some fun with it though, so not riding the regret wagon. 

First campaign start, took out a Foxtrot that intercepted me right away.  Not sure how smart he was pinging away with active sonar when I gave him a torpedo for his trouble. 

Right after though, intercept by a pair of Soviet destroyers.  I managed to take them both out, but an apparent errant press of the W key and my eye not on the prize meant my poor boat went to Davy Jones at crush depth.  So yeah, I really feel they need more feedback and a few preset hotkeys. 

I'm hoping, wishing, dreaming for them to do a DLC with audio cues. 

But, I had a lot of fun.  It reminded me of a mix of RSR and 688 Attack Sub, but without some of the quality of life interface needs that those games had.  It did not remind me of Janes 688 or Dangerous Waters, and that's honestly ok.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Swatter

I went ahead and took the plunge too and I am glad I did. Knowing what to expect beforehand, I am fine with the controls. I can easily see needing a hotkey to go to periscope depth automatically, because currently you must pay attention or you might breach the surface. Otherwise I like it so far.

I played those other sub sims long ago (Dangerous Waters and 688i) and they were fine for what they were, but what I really wanted was a dynamic campaign like those really great WWII sub sims. I haven't played the campaign yet, though.

This isn't one of those sims where you can go to the passive sonar station and listen to contacts on a waterfall display, but I am not sure I miss that anyway. There are plenty of gadgets to fiddle with that come with an impressive amount of keyboard shortcuts, so print it out.

I am looking forward to playing it more tomorrow.

jomni

The manual states you are the Commander and you wouldn't need to worry about usage of sensors and fire control. But they didn't say you're supposed to be the sub driver too!  :DD

Regarding the campaign, can you just nuke Moscow and finish the war once and for all? Is nuclear ordinance actually present?

Yskonyn

Still... is it worth 40? Or more like 20 at this point?
Just being 'fun' doesn't set it firmly on my to buy list right now for 40 credits.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

I decided to reinstall Silent Hunter III due to this thread and immediately uninstalled it.

"Could not locate 3D device" came up as an error. On looking around, I read you have to set your desktop resolution to 1024x768, start the game, set it to window mode, exit the game and then reset your desktop resolution.

I'm not doing that for a game. Not a chance. Besides - I do not like playing in window mode.

So I'll just wait on this getting more positive reviews.
Alba gu' brath