Main Menu

Cold Waters

Started by Thomasew, September 28, 2016, 09:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

Quote from: jomni on June 06, 2017, 01:47:26 AM
The manual states you are the Commander and you wouldn't need to worry about usage of sensors and fire control. But they didn't say you're supposed to be the sub driver too!  :DD

Regarding the campaign, can you just nuke Moscow and finish the war once and for all? Is nuclear ordinance actually present?

You play an attack sub role not a boomer, so no you can't nuke Moscow.

Barthheart

Quote from: Yskonyn on June 06, 2017, 03:37:56 AM
Still... is it worth 40? Or more like 20 at this point?
Just being 'fun' doesn't set it firmly on my to buy list right now for 40 credits.

To me, it's worth the money because it is fun. My dollars per hour gaming from this will steadily drop as I see myself putting a lot of hours into it.

Capn Darwin

Is anyone else having an issue with run away FPS in menus with vsync off? The game is a slow stutterfest with it on, but off my old ass 450 GTS card runs the game smoothly with all the bells and whistles on. The problem is in menus when the FPS jumps up over 200 and the heat on my video card goes through the roof.  :'(
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Toonces

I've noticed the fan on my laptop kicks on pretty quickly after booting the game up, but I don't know about runaway FPS.  Certainly the game is causing my computer to work.

Glad to hear that many of you are enjoying this game.  I'm still on the fence.  I played it a bit more last night, but I'm afraid this might be a bit too lite for my tastes.  I'm going to wait a bit longer to see if the chatter can get me enthusiastic for the game.  I'm kind of not feeling it right now.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

^Given the game's lineage, I'm really not sure what you were expecting. It seems like you may have had some unreasonable expectations of what this game was going to be, bud. Some of the missing UI features seem like a correctable problem and they don't seem game breaking. But in terms of gameplay and mechanics, this was never going to be A high fidelity simulator, or even something mildly resembling one. By most reports, it does seem very similar to RSR though.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Hofstadter

Nup. Hate it. Had a go, absolutely disgusting to control and play. Im still gonna make a video on it, but its gonna come with a massive warning about the sheer awkwardness of playing with incremental controls
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Destraex

It works on an atom processor with XP... amazing!
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Pete Dero

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 06, 2017, 03:44:50 AM
I decided to reinstall Silent Hunter III due to this thread and immediately uninstalled it.

"Could not locate 3D device" came up as an error.

Had the same problem.  Switching my monitor refresh rate to 60 Hz fixed it (was set on 59 Hz).  No need to change screen resolution or other fixes.

I also use this mod : Ahnenerbe WideGui 1920 x 1080 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=215433) (this mod is compatible with GWX and can be installed using JGSME)

Greybriar

Found this new (uploaded 21 hours ago) video about Cold Waters:

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Toonces

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 06, 2017, 07:24:23 AM
^Given the game's lineage, I'm really not sure what you were expecting. It seems like you may have had some unreasonable expectations of what this game was going to be, bud. Some of the missing UI features seem like a correctable problem and they don't seem game breaking. But in terms of gameplay and mechanics, this was never going to be A high fidelity simulator, or even something mildly resembling one. By most reports, it does seem very similar to RSR though.

Sounds like you're agreeing with RyanE.  What's next, dogs and cats living together?

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Toonces on June 06, 2017, 10:18:50 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 06, 2017, 07:24:23 AM

Sounds like you're agreeing with RyanE.  What's next, dogs and cats living together?

Haha! No. human sacrifice.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Pete Dero on June 06, 2017, 08:55:18 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 06, 2017, 03:44:50 AM
I decided to reinstall Silent Hunter III due to this thread and immediately uninstalled it.

"Could not locate 3D device" came up as an error.

Had the same problem.  Switching my monitor refresh rate to 60 Hz fixed it (was set on 59 Hz).  No need to change screen resolution or other fixes.

I also use this mod : Ahnenerbe WideGui 1920 x 1080 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=215433) (this mod is compatible with GWX and can be installed using JGSME)
Thanks - I'll have a go  O0
Alba gu' brath

Pete Dero

First video by someone who plays games like Dangerous Waters on a regular basis.

trek

For those of you still on the fence about CW there are a new series of videos on YouTube by JiveTurkey. He's a former Navy Submariner who was assigned to a 688. He really know his stuff and already has the game pretty much nailed. The first of his videos is entitled:
"Cold Waters: Greenland Sea Convoy Hunt" just in case I've screwed up the following link. BTW having played KillerFish games previous titles Atlantic Fleet and Pacific Fleet I knew exactly what to expect from this game and I'm finding it very enjoyable. Personally I'm not having a problem with steering the sub, at least it gives you more to do and keeps you very involved and on your toes. I do agree that they need to implement a periscope depth hotkey though. I am glad that it is real-time and I'm hoping that eventually KF Games will revisit surface battles and create a new one in real-time as well. My request would be a Dreadnought Era one taking you right into WW1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ5qDn0KM8E