Main Menu

Cold Waters

Started by Thomasew, September 28, 2016, 09:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

I believe so. I've just done the Sensors tutorial and it mentioned towed array and how it worked and I didn't have to deploy it
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

^I noticed the same thing. I believe I read a thread in the steam forums that confirmed it is automatic. Apparently, it was automatic in RSR, as well.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

jamus34

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 08, 2017, 05:58:02 PM
^I noticed the same thing. I believe I read a thread in the steam forums that confirmed it is automatic. Apparently, it was automatic in RSR, as well.

Correct...I think it was reeled in if you weren't moving at all, moving >20 kn, or too low (not sure if it was just below the layer or if you were within XXX ft of the bottom)

I think I still may have the RSR book...but not certain.

I know I still have my Bards Tale 3 and Wasteland manuals :D
Insert witty comment here.

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on June 08, 2017, 05:46:49 PM
Is towed array automatically deployed?

Yeah, it's always out.  You don't have to mess with it.

A developer stated that they were having a problem with it showing in the 3D engine, and had been working on fixing it's display.  But it's there & working.

I also noticed that CW may model your towed array being dragged on the bottom.  Not sure, yet, how much clearance you need to keep it operating yet, But when I've been somewhat close to the bottom, I start losing distant contacts.  If this is what's going on, I'm glad they have it modeled.  O0

Toonces

So now I can confidently tell you that the game models expenditure of torpedoes and sonobuoys from the Bears.  Don't ask how I know this.   ::)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Toonces on June 08, 2017, 09:10:03 PM
So now I can confidently tell you that the game models expenditure of torpedoes and sonobuoys from the Bears.  Don't ask how I know this.   ::)
Pray tell, Toonces, how do you know this?  >:D
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 08, 2017, 11:20:33 PM

Probably the same way as others. 

Through punishment.

>:D

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Nefaro on June 08, 2017, 11:47:20 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 08, 2017, 11:20:33 PM

Probably the same way as others. 

Through punishment.

>:D

Yeah, probably did the same as I did last night and tried to evade a brutally relentless Bear for an hour.   I felt like I was in that old Anthony Hopkins movie the Edge.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JudgeDredd

Having the played each of the tutorials several times, I was fairly confident at starting a campaign.

Choose 1984 and went to see. Start map stopped pitting me against a submarine contact. Turns out it was 2 Romeo SS.

Avoided the first torp launched by the first one and was hit by a second. Planes up, increase speed to 2/3, and take on ballast to get up to control the flooding. Flooding came under control about 600ft. I fired a torp, taking it out.

I then went to locate the second one. His active sonar kicked in. As I wasn't able to get a decent solution I switched on active sonar and got 95%.

I launched a torp and as it closed with the Romeo, it dropped a noise maker and the torp missed, continuing to look. I launched another one to keep the Romeo on it's toes and this one hit.

Whilst admiring my handy work and watching the Romeo sink to the bottom, I was spinning the camera around looking for my sub in the back ground and picked it up...with...something else. Is that a noisemaker? No - it's moving too fast. Switched view to my ship to see a torpedo slam into the side of it.

Now a couple of things...

• I'm 95% sure that was my torpedo - I presume that can happen
  • Rather annoyingly, I didn't hear any pinging from the torp and I would imagine for that torp to find me and hit me, I would've heard it's sonar...is that not the case? If it is, then there's a sound bug hear
My second point - in ALL the training missions I played utilising torpedoes, I never came across them not employing active sonar - so I'm a wee bit annoyed a) I was hit by my own torp and b) the game decided it wasn't going to give me any clue I was being targeted and so couldn't drop a noise maker.

Is there anything you can do to prevent being picked up by your own torpedo (assuming it was my torpedo - I definitely didn't see the Romeo firing one).

Anyway - I'm going in for another go!
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

^this is a bug. It's called the JudgeDredd bug because of all the people, this annoying situation had to happen to you!  :DD
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Toonces

Yes your own torps can hit you.

If you had speed on, you won't hear the torps pinging.

You might have taken sonar damage when you got hit by the first torp.

The romeo probably shot at you when you went active.

If you had the Romeo selected in 3d then you're not hearing your subs sounds, you're hearing what the Romeo hears.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Grim.Reaper

Review posted at subsim and includes sneak peek of upcoming navigation controls.

http://www.subsim.com/ssr/cold_waters/review_cold_waters.php

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Toonces on June 10, 2017, 06:31:37 AM
Yes your own torps can hit you.

If you had speed on, you won't hear the torps pinging.

You might have taken sonar damage when you got hit by the first torp.

The romeo probably shot at you when you went active.

If you had the Romeo selected in 3d then you're not hearing your subs sounds, you're hearing what the Romeo hears.
You know I completely did not think about the view affecting what I hear. Completely makes sense and I feel daft for even mentioning it.

Thanks  O0
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

I can't hit anything moving with unguided torpedoes. Any adjustment they make in course or speed and that's it. What is the ideal launch range? Maybe I'm shooting too soon?

I'm playing the North Atlantic convoy hunting mission and I'm driving the most advanced sub available for the mission with 1967 era technology. Soviet torps seem to have guidance, mine do not. Am I missing something?

...new controls look fantastic!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog