Main Menu

Cold Waters

Started by Thomasew, September 28, 2016, 09:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

Those screenshots make me so glad I stuck with this game.  What a fantastic dev team.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

SirAndrewD

Well, I managed to survive my first campaign. 

It went pretty darned quickly.  Eleven days, five missions that ended with a Warsaw Pact cease fire after I launched a Tomahawk strike on Archangel.   

Anyone else having these quick little wars?
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JudgeDredd

Soooooooooooo

As you can be detected very easily I decided to go and read up on detection and evasion.

Who would've thought submarines were so detectable. I had no idea. I genuinely thought you were invisible. I guess that was back in the day before detection technology caught up.

Anyway, read up on it and understood that detection doesn't mean they know where you are - only that there's something down there. When they launch, they are launching in the dark and the torpedo takes over.

Having read up, I jumped back in and from the strat map I ended up in amongst the hornest nest. I was being actively pinged from all directions. Turned out to be 3 destroyers, 3 replenishment  ships and helicopters. Sonobuoys, dipping sonar and then torpedoes in the water doing their thing - spinning around searching.

I used the evasion tactics I had read about and it worked...I managed to evade what was being dropped and also the helicopters were looking in the wrong place...though I was still being pinged.

I went above the layer, let loose with 3 ASMs and took out a destroyer and 2 replenishment ships. That gave me away because the pinging started with earnest again. Another torpedo in the water and I was evading again. I managed to do so and fired a torpedo and another destroyer and took it out.

Unfortunately, I was too busy admiring my work again and forgot about the torpedo I evaded...which apparently was only temporary!  :DD
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Can someone tell me what the tube launched MOSS is?
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 11, 2017, 03:14:57 AM

Mobile submarine simulator. It's a decoy.

Does anybody have any feedback on my question about unguided torpedoes?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 11, 2017, 03:18:35 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 11, 2017, 03:14:57 AM

Mobile submarine simulator. It's a decoy.

I am still figuring out things myself and you might have already seen this, but from what I have read in places the recommendation is to launch multiple torpedoes at your target to cover the various courses it might take and the closer to your target the better.  Also, not sure if you saw in the manual, they had a couple tactics which I pasted below.

When firing at a moving target, you have to aim a distance in front of it, so that your weapon hits the
target at the point he is going to be when the weapon gets there. This is known as leading the target.
Ever since the 1920's, analog then digital computers have been employed to help with the fire control
problem: Observations are made over time noting the target's course, speed and range. These are fed
into the fire control system, which also takes input about the sub's own movement. The fire control
system then calculates a continuously updated aim point where the target will be if you fired a torpedo
at that time. This is known as the target solution.

The accuracy of the solution is dependent on several factors: Sudden movements by you or the target
may invalidate the solution causing your weapons to miss. Therefore unguided torpedoes can easily
be defeated by a manoeuvring target. This has been made into standard doctrine, and therefore all
surface groups will make periodic course changes, or zigs, to throw off any skipper trying to ambush
them.

One way to hedge against target zigs is firing multiple torpedoes in a salvo, or spread:

Cold Waters, an aim point appears on the tactical display when a target's solution reaches a good
enough solution. To aim the weapons, simply drag the waypoint over the aim point and fire. The
torpedoes will then run for a few hundred yards before turning to the gyro angle set by you.

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 10, 2017, 12:18:03 PM
I can't hit anything moving with unguided torpedoes. Any adjustment they make in course or speed and that's it. What is the ideal launch range? Maybe I'm shooting too soon?

I'm playing the North Atlantic convoy hunting mission and I'm driving the most advanced sub available for the mission with 1967 era technology. Soviet torps seem to have guidance, mine do not. Am I missing something?

...new controls look fantastic!

I always read skippers saying that the optimal range for straight-running Torpedoes was 500 yds.   <1000 yds, ideally.   The least chance of their maneuvering throwing your shot off, while still being outside minimum torpedo range.

But you won't get anywhere near that, in 1968, due to the sonar being much better than WW2 stuff.

Nefaro

Beta patch 1.01b just came out.

You can opt into it under Steam's 'Properties' window for the game.  No p/w.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 11, 2017, 03:53:14 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 11, 2017, 03:18:35 AM

I am still figuring out things myself and you might have already seen this, but from what I have read in places the recommendation is to launch multiple torpedoes at your target to cover the various courses it might take and the closer to your target the better. 

Once you are detected the unguided torpedoes become useless (ships will start evading procedures).

I think they are only usefull when used against slow moving merchants at short range.  Warships and subs will almost allways be able to avoid them even when you use a spread.

jomni

Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 10, 2017, 11:50:00 PM
Well, I managed to survive my first campaign. 

It went pretty darned quickly.  Eleven days, five missions that ended with a Warsaw Pact cease fire after I launched a Tomahawk strike on Archangel.   

Anyone else having these quick little wars?

7 days, 3 missions.  We sunk on the 3rd mission.  ::)

Jarhead0331

Alright, I figured unguided torps are essentially worthless. The mission I'm playing has me in a Sturgeon and the pre mission briefing says I'm loaded with mk16s and mk37s. The 16s are unguided and useless. The 37s should have guidance. The only problem is I only seem able to load 16s and decoys into my tubes. Where the hell are the 37s?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

jomni

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 11, 2017, 06:49:02 AM
Alright, I figured unguided torps are essentially worthless. The mission I'm playing has me in a Sturgeon and the pre mission briefing says I'm loaded with mk16s and mk37s. The 16s are unguided and useless. The 37s should have guidance. The only problem is I only seem able to load 16s and decoys into my tubes. Where the hell are the 37s?

Which mission?  Is this one of the canned missions?

Grim.Reaper

Probably doesn't help you, but just completed a mission where they were available to me....the 16s were the default, but I was able to reload the tubes with the 37s before the mission started.  Maybe a specific bug with a specific mission.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: jomni on June 11, 2017, 07:01:58 AM

Yes. The North Atlantic convoy hunt.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 11, 2017, 07:15:26 AM
Quote from: jomni on June 11, 2017, 07:01:58 AM

Yes. The North Atlantic convoy hunt.

Using a Sturgeon and Skipjack class, I was able to see the 37s in the stores and was able to load them into the tubes prior to that mission.  When you go into the XO report and then stores do you see them even graphically shown?  I see them there and then I just select a tube and hit the R key until I see the graphic.  Then good to go.