The next build...

Started by JudgeDredd, October 07, 2017, 05:49:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

I fancy some armour, so why not the M4A3E8 Sherman Easy Eight

The sprues - not alot to do here...
As always with Tamiya, the quality of the plastic is fantastic

Alot of people don't like the rubber tracks - I've never had a problem with them. I can see why individual link tracks are beneficial for vehicle with sag on the tracks (Tiger).

Some information on the M4A3E8

The instructions

Two models possible - 5th Armoured Division, Germany April '45 and 4th Armoured Division, Bastogne Jan '45.
I suspect most people would automatically gravitate to the Bastogne version - so I'm going to go with the 5th Armoured Division in Germany in April '45

I might get some after market stowage to stick on the tank like this

As for method - normally I make sections and paint them then start piecing together, however this time I might use Andy's method (Andy's Hobby Headquarters - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChnAgeghaNKLdftbfJY8zNA) where he makes the model THEN paints it...he always does this with armour and I have to say, they always look top notch.

I'm not sure when I'll be able to complete this as my daughter wants me to setup Star Wars:Rebellion boardgame again and that takes my modelling table away....at least until i get my BillyOh Riley shed (yep - it's a thing - and not necessarily this one)
https://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/log-cabins/billyoh-riley-log-cabin-summerhouse

But this is the next one I'm committing to
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

You know, because of your posts, I've been damned close to pulling the trigger on the Tanks! game miniatures, or even Flames of War. I should probably try a larger model or two before I try to get into minis games.

I've actually been eyeing this Akagi aircraft carrier model, which is reasonably priced...

JudgeDredd

Well thanks to you I'm thinking about getting the Tanks! game!  :knuppel2:
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

:2funny:

Well that's what we're good for 'round here is enablement, innit? ;)

The Tanks Starter Set is only $22 USD. My only issue is getting a bunch of minis I won't play with (see: X-Wing Minis, lol).

JudgeDredd

Getting there. Alot of fiddly bits, but it's going together well. After me praising rubber tracks (or at least saying I didn't mind them), these snapped and I had to staple them together.

Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

You could leave off the turret and turn it into a Kangaroo APC.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

And then he could buy a Kangaroo model and use the turret on that
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

acctingman

Watching this closely JD. This kit is on my to-do list. Working on a Panther D right now and a Jagdpanther!

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 08, 2017, 04:35:51 PM
You could leave off the turret and turn it into a Kangaroo APC.
But I want the turret  :'(
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

That's it built....now to the scary task of painting when it's built!!

I'm not deciding whether to keep the crewman in the tank or not, hence why the hatch isn't on yet. I'll decide when I paint him - see how he turns out.

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

She's in the booth ready for her primer.

The commander is done obviously and I'll stick him in when I get the tank paint on.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat