Previous topic - Next topic

Tpek

I like Bison's surprise better.
I'd also like to attempt a crack at it...  ;D

LongBlade

Quote from: Tpek on February 09, 2012, 10:49:30 AM

Gentlemen, if I had her name and number I'd introduce you.

My apologies that I do not.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

twitter3

Quote from: Tpek on February 09, 2012, 10:49:30 AM

Cheat code: alt/right shift/up-down/backspace/home

son_of_montfort

Quoteone thing I found funny in the official forums is that some twit of a fanboi suggested that they could add in FOW as a DLC package for like $2 or $3!?!?!

Wow... that IS an idiotic thing to say. Let's reactivate something that was supposed to be in the game for a charge? Geez. A modder should be able to fix that up for free.

FWIW, the demo was entertaining but WAY to hard for me to enjoy long term.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Fighting Farmer

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 09, 2012, 07:04:36 AM
so is three (3) day one release DLC packages.  This REALLY annoys me.  These packages were not even available for free to pre-orders. This is simply bull$hit content that was left out of the original game so that it could be released immediately for an extra charge.  DLC that comes out a month or two after release doesn't so much bother me, but day one DLC just strikes me as particularly criminal.

On Amazon, they are advertising a Crusader King II DLC to be available on 02-14 which is its release date (Mongols and Dynasty Shields DLC Pack). I'm with you Jarhead, its total BS that a company sells DLC on the same day the game is released. It teaches one to never to pre-order a game because you could be paying full price for a stripped down product.

son_of_montfort

Technically, you get the CKII DLC for free if you pre-order.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

jomni

I just installed this.  Will let you know how it works out.

Jarhead0331

I just finished the first mission and I'm happy to report that its not half bad. I enjoyed myself, planned a cautious, slow approach and took down the ill-equipped enemies in small groups of ones or twos. My three man squad also gathered a bunch of better gear in the process too.  The airport is now open and my insurgency is ready to grow.

The AI is not the brightest when it comes to spotting, detecting and reacting to enemies, so if you can isolate them you can use pretty basic tactics to take them out without too much danger to your own men (and women).  But that doesn't mean there is no challenge.  You really do need to exploit the "pause & go" mode or else it will be overly difficult and not fun. 

It definitely still feels like JA to me.  It may ultimately prove to not be as good as the original titles in the series, but so far, I'm actually having a good time.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Fighting Farmer on February 09, 2012, 06:13:47 PM
so is three (3) day one release DLC packages.  This REALLY annoys me.  These packages were not even available for free to pre-orders. This is simply bull$hit content that was left out of the original game so that it could be released immediately for an extra charge.  DLC that comes out a month or two after release doesn't so much bother me, but day one DLC just strikes me as particularly criminal.

On Amazon, they are advertising a Crusader King II DLC to be available on 02-14 which is its release date (Mongols and Dynasty Shields DLC Pack). I'm with you Jarhead, its total BS that a company sells DLC on the same day the game is released. It teaches one to never to pre-order a game because you could be paying full price for a stripped down product.

I really don't get the uproar when it's cosmetic. Oh no, fewer costume options or some of the cultures won't look quite as varied...and? It doesn't have any effect on game play.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 09, 2012, 10:48:38 PM
Quote from: Fighting Farmer on February 09, 2012, 06:13:47 PM

I really don't get the uproar when it's cosmetic. Oh no, fewer costume options or some of the cultures won't look quite as varied...and? It doesn't have any effect on game play.

Then why sell them and not just include them with the original release? Why try to make extra money for cosmetic enhancements that arguably should be there to begin with. Why should a game about a mercenary led insurgency in a small island nation with jungle and desert terrain, not come with camo gear suited for those theaters?  Why should I have to pay extra to get that camo?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

jomni

Ok I'm addicted.  The lack of fog of war is a minor issue.  The game is very challenging already without it.  I have to reload several times to get the correct approach.  You are constantly undermanned and outgunned.   The enemy is no pushover, they have powerful weapons, body armor and are as accurate as your mercenaries. 

The trick to fighting is doing what insurgents do... hit and run.  Ambush a lone guard on patrol.  Send a lone decoy to shoot at the enemy then quickly run back to your friends in ambush position and take down whoever follows you.  Conventional tactics like bounding overwatch also works great in a big firefight.  I also like the pause command feature where you can give chained commands and synchronize the steps.  Makes it feel like Rainbow Six.

Overall this is the worthy Jagged Alliance sequel (actually it is a remake of JA2... story is the same).  It's very polished and has a streamlined UI compared to those 3D Jagged Alliance wannabe games that have cropped up the past few years.

By the way I had a frustrating thing happen to me.  In a small room, the NPC's blocked my character in a small corner.  I miss the "switch position" button in the old JA.  So my other character is left alone to clear the town by herself.   Then I apparently figured out that you can actually go out into the strategic map as long as there's no battle to reset the positions.  Duh.

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

What's the word on this one?  Reviews so far have not been very favorable, but I'm holding out for one of my trusted sources here to come out with an opinion. 

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Bison on February 13, 2012, 04:47:58 PM
What's the word on this one?  Reviews so far have not been very favorable, but I'm holding out for one of my trusted sources here to come out with an opinion.

Honestly, I am enjoying it a lot and finding it very addictive.  It definitely "feels" like Jagged Alliance in spirit.  It is not as complex, but this has not proven to be a bad thing yet.

It wasn't too hard getting a foothold in Arulco; I cut through the Queen's thugs pretty easily.  But now I'm starting to run into the Queens more professional troops and they are very well armed and equipped.  It's become quite challenging.

The "pause and go" system really works.  i was skeptical at first, but its a pretty good system that really rewards tactical play styles. 

In sum...so far, I give it two thumbs up.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Bison

Sweet.  This is what I was hoping to hear especially about the pause and go system.