JA: Back in Action released, and...

Started by Jarhead0331, February 09, 2012, 07:04:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Bison on February 13, 2012, 04:59:16 PM
Sweet.  This is what I was hoping to hear especially about the pause and go system.

From my time with the demo, I would say that - not only does the pause and go system work well - but if you don't use it the game is darn near impossible.

Which begs the question... why didn't they just make it turn based...  ;)
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Bison

I just think "turn based" doesn't hold the appeal of "real time" combat from a marketing stand point and in the minds of many gamers. 

Jarhead0331

Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 13, 2012, 05:14:50 PM

I must say that the pause & go system helps the game flow much smoother.  You have complete control over when and under what circumstances you can pause the game.  Sometimes there may be no need to pause, so you can wait until your mercs are in position.  then you can pause, set your guys up, pick targets, etc. and then press the action forward until you are ready to pause it again and give new orders.

Its really a flexible, sophisticated (yet simple) system that may be the next evolution in tactical squad based combat gaming.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

TheCommandTent

I am tempted to get the demo and see what this game is all about but then I might have to go and buy it :)

How easy would it be for someone to get into this game thats never played one like it before.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Steelgrave

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 13, 2012, 04:57:03 PM
Quote from: Bison on February 13, 2012, 04:47:58 PM
What's the word on this one?  Reviews so far have not been very favorable, but I'm holding out for one of my trusted sources here to come out with an opinion.

Honestly, I am enjoying it a lot and finding it very addictive.  It definitely "feels" like Jagged Alliance in spirit.  It is not as complex, but this has not proven to be a bad thing yet.

It wasn't too hard getting a foothold in Arulco; I cut through the Queen's thugs pretty easily.  But now I'm starting to run into the Queens more professional troops and they are very well armed and equipped.  It's become quite challenging.

The "pause and go" system really works.  i was skeptical at first, but its a pretty good system that really rewards tactical play styles. 

In sum...so far, I give it two thumbs up.

Good enough for me. I'm downloading it now. Thanks, JH.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Steelgrave on February 13, 2012, 07:43:04 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 13, 2012, 04:57:03 PM
Quote from: Bison on February 13, 2012, 04:47:58 PM
What's the word on this one?  Reviews so far have not been very favorable, but I'm holding out for one of my trusted sources here to come out with an opinion.

Honestly, I am enjoying it a lot and finding it very addictive.  It definitely "feels" like Jagged Alliance in spirit.  It is not as complex, but this has not proven to be a bad thing yet.

It wasn't too hard getting a foothold in Arulco; I cut through the Queen's thugs pretty easily.  But now I'm starting to run into the Queens more professional troops and they are very well armed and equipped.  It's become quite challenging.

The "pause and go" system really works.  i was skeptical at first, but its a pretty good system that really rewards tactical play styles. 

In sum...so far, I give it two thumbs up.

Good enough for me. I'm downloading it now. Thanks, JH.

Enjoy it, brotha!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SCDJ on February 13, 2012, 07:34:37 PM
I am tempted to get the demo and see what this game is all about but then I might have to go and buy it :)

How easy would it be for someone to get into this game thats never played one like it before.

Really easy SCDJ, but it helps if you have some experience with squad based tactical games, ie. x-com.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 13, 2012, 08:14:23 PM
Quote from: SCDJ on February 13, 2012, 07:34:37 PM

Really easy SCDJ, but it helps if you have some experience with squad based tactical games, ie. x-com.

Thanks.  Does the demo give a good showing of what the full game will be like?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Slick Wilhelm

jomni

Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 13, 2012, 05:14:50 PM

Because it's very boring.  I remember old JA times where there were endless turns doing movement to contact, manipulating objects, scavenging, etc.  Now, we can just move in real time and pause when things get hot.  You don't even need the pause and go when you have total advantage.

I honestly believe this is better than the previous JA titles at least for my tastes.  As Jarhead said, it's the next evolution.  So for grognards maybe they should put FOW in the next installation, better camera angles, first person and shoulder views, farther rendering distance..

Slick Wilhelm

On GamersGate, they have this under the DRM:

"Requires a 3rd party download and account".

Is that Steam?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on February 14, 2012, 06:42:23 PM

Is that Steam?

Probably.  I got mine on steam and did not have to create any other accounts or software download.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

LongBlade

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 14, 2012, 06:48:36 PM

Is that Steam?

Probably.  I got mine on steam and did not have to create any other accounts or software download.

+1 Sounds a lot like Steam. If it's not, expect something similar.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TheCommandTent

Just got home from work.  The demo finished download, the wife is working late, perhaps I'll give it a spin.

jomni

Is that Steam?

It is Steam.  I bought from GG, downloaded the stuff, ran the installer which has the Steam interface.  If you look at the download folder, it has some Steam files there.

It's in my Steam now and it actually got automatically patched once (or twice) already.