More Close Combat at Gog.

Started by DoctorQuest, March 21, 2018, 11:09:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorQuest

Several more CC games released at Gog. Wondering how these stack up. Modern Tactics looks tempting.

https://www.gog.com/news/release_close_combat_second_wave
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Jarhead0331

Way overpriced in my opinion. Even at 50% off.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mirth on March 21, 2018, 02:14:39 PM
Panthers in the Fog is only $13.99

https://www.gog.com/game/close_combat_panthers_in_the_fog

I'm talking about the new releases...Cross of Iron and Modern Tactics.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mirth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 21, 2018, 02:24:41 PM
Quote from: mirth on March 21, 2018, 02:14:39 PM
Panthers in the Fog is only $13.99

https://www.gog.com/game/close_combat_panthers_in_the_fog

I'm talking about the new releases...Cross of Iron and Modern Tactics.

That was strictly for Star's benefit ;)
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Jarhead0331

^ah. Yes. He is still working on the review, as I understand it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 21, 2018, 02:11:43 PM
shut your whore mouth!

That sounds like a positive review synopsis...?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Stryker07

I grabbed CC3 since I never played it back in the day. After CC2 I took a break from gaming, and then when I returned there was CMx1 in all it's glory so saw no need. I put a solid 3 hours into the grand campaign last night, time just melted.
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog
GG's War in the West
Panzer Corps

PanzersEast

Which is recommended in order?  I believe I have Gateway to Caen, which I got in a bundle....  But hey, I need more games I will probably never get to  ::)

GDS_Starfury

After calling 1000"s of battles in WoT, I'll never complain about CC3'S AI.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JasonPratt

Quote from: PanzersEast on March 22, 2018, 02:48:31 PM
Which is recommended in order?  I believe I have Gateway to Caen, which I got in a bundle....  But hey, I need more games I will probably never get to  ::)

As a rule, the later remakes are superior (so there isn't much point buying earlier versions except for much older systems and/or to save a few bucks). And naturally this activity is preliminary marketing for the release of the new CC engine with "The Bloody First".

Sorted by war chronology then (with release dates also mentioned for comparison to newer versions of the engine), the latest versions of the games would be:

• 2007, CROSS OF IRON: because it covers so much of the Eastern Front, it tends to go earlier than the others. But it's also the only game on that front, so it kind of counts separately. Remakes CC3, and includes the older versions of campaigns without the updates.

• 2018 (unreleased yet) THE BLOODY FIRST: the brand-new Slitherine proprietary engine, I don't know how focused this game's campaign(s?) will be, but it features action in Tunisia, Husky, and Overlord.

• 2009, THE LONGEST DAY: the initial Normandy invasion (duh), remaking CC5 "Invasion Normandy" (a version of the original campaign also being included in this edition). I can confirm this runs acceptably on Win 8.1, but needs adjustment for compatibility (which my system automatically did after trying and failing to run it the first time), and it does not like running full screen. Running it in a window works fine, but the text does not scale well to higher resolutions so you're going to be squinting a lot!

• June 2014, GATEWAY TO CAEN: the British try to finally make it to Caen after the initial invasion. Not a remake of anything, and the final game on the original engine.

• 1998 CLOSE COMBAT: the original game! Operation Cobra. GoG is providing this game for free with at least some purchases of other other games.

• Nov 2012, PANTHERS IN THE FOG: the Allied breakthrough in Normandy in August after Operation Cobra. Not a remake of anything (unless part of CC1).

• 2010, LAST STAND ARNHEM: remake/update of CC2 (long regarded as the best of the series), covering Operation Market/Garden. Unlike the other updates, this does not include the older game campaign.

• 2008, WACHT AM RHEIN: remake/update of CC4, covering the Bulge. Also includes the older CC4 campaigns without the updates.

Now updated with proper release years for the games.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Note: I can't verify at the house yet, but checking the Matrix forum suggests that GATEWAY TO CAEN is indeed a remake/update of one of the LONGEST DAY campaigns (specifically the "Objective Caen" campaign, which is part of the LD grand campaign).

This suggests PANTHERS IN THE FOG is also a remake/update of part of the LD grand campaign, but I haven't verified that yet.

JasonPratt

Note: no, PANTHERS IN THE FOG is Operation Luttich (I'm spelling that wrong I'm sure), the German counterattack in August against the flank of Patton's advance after Cobra. LONGEST DAY is strictly the Normandy invasion, starting with the paradrops in the pre-dawn hours and going until June 9th.

Consequently, GATEWAY TO CAEN is not really a remake either: it assumes that, in effect, the Allied player was also unable to take Caen (much less bypass it) during LONGEST DAY, and so several weeks later Operation Epsom is launched by Montgomery to try to finally take the city and the inland beyond it.