Main Menu

Panzer Corps 2

Started by PanzerFaust, July 19, 2018, 04:55:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Only infantry has max of 15, everything else still has a max of 10.

Combat is certainly more nuanced, but I've been playing on the 3rd & 4th difficulty out of 6 and haven't found it to be all that difficult.  You just need to utilize new mechanics like encirclement and massed attacks to dislodge fortified enemies.  When AI reinforces a unit, the new steps start out suppressed (just as yours do), giving you the opportunity to reduce the reinforced steps quite easily.  You can also force enemy units to surrender if they have nowhere to retreat after getting the hell beat out of them.

The new mechanics add a bit of depth to the blow-by-blow combat, but it's still Panzer Corps at its heart.

EDIT -- I'm also genuinely a bit surprised by the UI complaints - I was pleasantly surprised to find the UI basically exactly the same as the previous game!  Different strokes I guess.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Johnnie

I just bought PC2 Field Marshall version (which is advertised as having 4 additional scenarios.)  There are 8 scenarios total.  Did I miss something?

CJReich46

did a play through of Poland just a while ago:

I did better in Poland South, and by better I still didn't get Kielce in 5 turns. (DANG!!) but the operation was done in 11 turns. Warsaw was done on the 19th turn. Still a slog. Reminds me of how 1939 Warsaw was in the original Panzer General. I would get so close and yet a decisive victory was out of my grasp.

While they removed the decisive victory and marginal from PC1, I did notice if you get the mission done ahead of time you do get a bonus in points for your future unit purchases and upgrades.

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

al_infierno

RPS review:  https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/03/27/panzer-corps-2-review/

As much as I'm loving the game, I've gotta agree with Tim's criticisms -- the random scenario generator in particular seems more half-baked the more I try it.  I really hope they roll out some improvements on that front quickly.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: al_infierno on March 27, 2020, 01:47:03 PM
RPS review:  https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/03/27/panzer-corps-2-review/

As much as I'm loving the game, I've gotta agree with Tim's criticisms -- the random scenario generator in particular seems more half-baked the more I try it.  I really hope they roll out some improvements on that front quickly.

It certainly seems like it. Random enemy units placed on victory hexes.

This game has got to be my biggest gaming let down of 2020.

Gusington

Don't worry it's only March.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

I've had to shelve this one. 

All it really did was make me reinstall Order of Battle and go back to some campaigns I never tried.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

I have a boatload to try in Order of Battle, probably going to try Morning Sun next.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Yeah, I do too. 

I don't hate Panzer Corps 2, I just feel it skews way more to the puzzle style.

OOB has it's puzzles too, but I feel like it masks that more effectively than PC2 does. 

I like the larger scale, ability to play different sides and scenarios, and even a lot of the mechanics more.   

I get it's had years to get more polished.  Maybe PC2 will be too in time.  I don't regret getting it, but I do feel it's got a long way to go and the improved graphics just aren't enough to take my attention to the more well broken in game.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

^That's why I waited on PC2. I really like Order of Battle and there are many good campaigns and scenarios with that polish now. It's come a long way.

In time PC2 will as well. Sometimes I like the puzzle-like nature of these games, sometimes not.

There is something about Order of Battle, Winter War in particular, that kept drawing me back.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

The Winter War campaign is one I own and haven't tried. 

Might fire it up tonight after beers transition to Scotch.

Gusington

It's awesome. IIRC there are two campaigns, 1941 and 1944. I finished the earlier one, haven't tried the later one.

I'm always better at strategy and tactical games with a little buzz going.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Apocalypse 31

The PzC 2 game mechanics are just too simplified to enjoy, especially after games like Order of Battle and Unity of Command have refined and introduced things like supply lines, fatigue, command radius, and many other realistic aspects.

PzC2 feels like a children's game

SirAndrewD

al_infierno

I still prefer the core systems of PC2 over Unity of Command 2 myself, though it definitely lacks the polish of UoC2 - that aspect alone is commendable imo.

All this talk of Order of Battle got me picking up the Endsieg, Red Star, and Burma Road DLC   O0

- MengJiao