So I bought an ebike...

Started by Toonces, December 31, 2018, 05:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

I'm not really a bike enthusiast.  I decided to get my son an ebike for Xmas; we live about two miles from the beach and there are a bunch of good surf spots within about 5 miles of my house, but we live up a pretty steep hill.  Parking is a huge pain in the bum in the summer downtown, so a bike is super useful, but that last half mile on the way home is some serious suck.  So we decided an ebike would be a good present and I had the opportunity to do some research on ebikes. 

I have to say that after reading up on them and watching some videos, I became intrigued with the concept.  In just a few days, my son is zipping all over the area and I decided that an ebike would be pretty useful for me as well.  I have a hell commute to work, but there is a train station right down the road that will drop me off about 4 miles from my work.  I'd been hesitating to use it because I just don't like the idea of that bike ride on both ends, but I am hoping that the ebike will take some of the pain off and make this a feasible commute option.

I'm pretty stoked.  I ended up spending more money than I wanted, but if I use it to commute for 6 months it will have paid for itself in gas savings, not to mention wear and tear and such on the car.

Well, I guess that's it for now.   8)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

DoctorQuest

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Toonces

I got this one.  It's called a RadMini by Rad Power Bikes.  It was pretty pricey at $1700, but I'm spending about $10/day on gas so it will pay for itself in less than a year.  I wanted a mountain bike kind, but after seeing my son's, I am way too short to ride one of those.  I watched some videos of these little ones and they seem to get the job done for what I need, which is to get to and from the train station, and to surf spots around town.  I don't plan to do any hardcore biking like JD and MikeGER do.

This one has the added benefit of being completely foldable.  The downside is it's about the ugliest bike I've ever seen.  I'm looking forward to giving it a go and seeing how it works.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

That is so ugly, it's beautiful. I love it. Living in a very hilly area myself my calf muscles would burst out of my legs after about a week.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

DoctorQuest

I like it. Let us know how it works out.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

MikeGER

Congrats  :D
it looks perfect for the task planed. its a commute tool    ...did you know there is a tactical all-black colorpattern version too?

the "uglyness" helps that it don't get nicked as fast as a 4k-$ not-foldable MTB stunner.
nevertheless i would still install a geotag (backlight) plus get frame marked with a ID number, and buy some sturdy theft protection.
(as a rule of thumb: the theft protect invest in a bike should be calculated up to a 10th of the worth to get a good one)   
You will use it one day to quick check on the beach, or just get a single item from a deli, forced to take an unwanted dump on the commute... its those unplanned impromptu situations, only 3 min out of sight and gone

demjansk1942

I ride thousands of miles and these bikes will be something that might catch on.  I ride the old fashioned way and do a little racing on the side.  Good job and keep us posted on how it stands up.  How is the security aspect of these bikes?

Gusington

I guarantee that if you use it every work day you will also lose weight.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Don't try to 'pedal' that stuff around here.  :2funny:  I got my wife a new bicycle for X-Mas, she asked Santa for it. Not many places left that sell bikes retail anymore-- Wal-Mart was my only option.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

demjansk1942

Sir Slash

Nope, none in my neck of the woods. Wal-Mart had what I needed but they wouldn't let me test-ride it around the store.  :'(
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Toonces

@ Demjansk- the battery has a lock on it that you lock/unlock with a key, similar to a car lock.  The lock also serves to power on the battery, which is a bit of a bummer because that means I have to have the key with me to use the bike.

MikeGER has a good point about the security though.  I'm not worried about it at work; the  place I work is very secure.  And the beaches around my house aren't bad either.  But the beaches where I work are seriously sketchy.  I'm still not certain it will be viable to bike there, even with a very secure lock.  I'm going to have to figure that part out still.  I might just end up biking farther down the road to the adjacent town, which is much safer and nicer.  It becomes a matter of time though, you know?

Gusington

We are blessed to have an awesome local bike store. They have had a series of those Fat Boy bikes in their windows for a while. I would love to get one but I want to ride on trails only, not near car traffic. There are also tons of trails literally ringing my house - I want to get to know them better before I get a bike though. But you have got me starting to think, Commander. One day I won't be able to run daily like I can now, and biking seems to be a good natural, progressive step.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Dammit Carl!

A folding e-bike with fat tires?  Cool!

Love fat bikes in general and am jelly at being able to bike to work; not a very bike friendly area per se outside the "big city," around here (i.e. dedicated bike lanes) and the prospect of getting jammed up under 4x4 Man's tires worries me - but I'm an old scardy cat too.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd