airboy:
Scorsby

Advantages:
Less expensive than Dewars
Not sweet
Smoky, but not too smoky

Disadvantage:
Not smooth, not smooth at all.

I tried a Fifth of Scorsby and it was not smooth enough.  It was barely drinkable.  I finished the bottle instead of giving it to a relative who believes that any free liquor is better than any liquor he purchases with his own money.  But I did think about gifting it - hard. :-\

airboy:
Carlyle

Advantages:
Cheaper than Johnny Walker Red
More smoky than Dewars, but not as smoky as Johnny Walker Red
Not Sweet
Smooth

Disadvantages:
None really.

Awesome!  I found this at Total Wine in Greenville, SC when up for the SEC Women's Basketball Tournament.  This was a store manager recommendation - which often is a good indicator.  It hit my sweet spot on smoky (more smoky than Dewars but not too smoky).  It is less expensive than Johnny Walker Red. 

airboy:
I posted all of this as a public service to my fellow grogs - who seem to be a hard drinking bunch.

I've spent a decade of research on this topic.  And remember, I'm a scientist and I have been highly trained in "research."

airboy:
Shieldaig

Advantages:
Cheaper than Dewars
Honestly, the name is pretty neat.
Not sweet.
Nice smoky taste

Disadvantages:
Too Harsh

This was the other Total Wine Manager recommendation in the blended Scotch area.  I drank all of this and did not consider giving it to a relative - but it was harsher than I like.  If you can tolerate something less smooth than Dewars, or if, God help you, you like a harsher taste - then try Shieldaig.

solops:
Enjoyable thread. I, too, am retired and enjoy Scotch. I don't drink much at all, sadly. It's not that I don't WANT to, I just keep forgetting to....not a good sign. My drinks are Scotch and port with an occasional CC&7. The other two being a bit sweet, I tend to like my Scotch neat - no ice, no water - and I , alas, like the strong single malts. which makes my only occasional drinking more affordable. My favorite is Laphroaig, as peaty and strong a drink as one could want. I can say that there is a big difference between the 10 and 25 year old versions. I stick with the cheaper bottle for the most part. And somehow I think I had a bottle of 18 year old Laphroaig, though their website claims no such animal exists....must have had too much of whatever it was :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version