After Action Reports > Digital Gaming AARs

Tank Warfare Tunisia 1943: El Guettar

(1/5) > >>

ack-ack:
Graviteam and Strategy First were nice enough to put this game and all the dlc on sale for 80% off on Steam (the sale ends on 20th), so I thought I would celebrate by attempting an aar.

El Guettar
7 turns (about 24 hours I think)
Playing as USA
Normal difficulty

The Map

Looks like our mission is to defend in the opening turns, then counter attack. We hold the majority of the VP points at the beginning so Iím guessing we could win by just holding what we currently have, but it would be nice to take that one German VP in the SE corner eventually. Our forces consist of a few tank destroyer battalions, two field artillery battalions, and the 18th infantry regiment. The mission briefing talks about the Germans having tanks, but not much more detail. This is a blind play-through so Iím not sure exactly what the Germans will throw at me.

ack-ack:
Turn 1
23 March 1943, 3:00

Handed out as many artillery spotters to my battalion and company commanders as possible. Moved the 601 recon unit south a bit, but no other movements. No battles this turn.

ack-ack:
Turn 2, Battle 1
23 March 1943, 6:00

A single German battlegroup made contact with H company of 3rd battalion / 18th IR. H company was also supported by a company of tank destroyers from 601 TD battalion. The defensive layout was very simple - the entire rifle company was arranged in a line at the foot of the mountain. A machine gun platoon and the company of tank destroyers were placed on both flanks of the infantry.

The battle was over pretty quick. The enemy decided it would be a good idea to form up almost all of their infantry into a 3 column line formation and start marching directly over to my defenses. We waited until they got nice and close and opened up on them with everything we had. Needless to say, they quickly called for cease fire. They lost 90 casualties to our 5 or so.

In other news, the driving abilities of our men is disconcerting. 

ack-ack:
Turn 2, Battle 2
23 March 1943, 6:30

A new German battle group plus the remnants of the battle group from the previous battle attack G company to the NE.

We set up another simple defense line:

One infantry company supported by a mortar platoon and a platoon of T30 SPGs.

We quickly spot an armored car coming down the mountain side from the south. I usually wouldn't think much of these things, but unfortunately we have no good AT weapons to speak of. The T30s only carry HE and smoke.

The battle progresses. Infantry starts moving down the mountain as well. Machine gunners start opening fire on our defenses. I order everyone to open fire. I make sure to tell them to conserve ammo. We start taking fire from some field guns about 1km to the east. We are able to silence them with our SPGs and mortars.

Everyone appears to be out of HE ammo after this. So much for conserving ammo...

The Germans start making a strong push to our lines. Itís looking really bad. We donít have anything to stand up to the company of armored cars (SdKfz 232) other than small arms fire and a few rifle grenades.

We withdraw from the battle suffering 40 casualties to the enemies 45. We lost 2 out of our 3 T30s. 

JasonPratt:
SUBSCRIBED!  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version