Main Menu

HP Reverb G2

Started by Yskonyn, October 18, 2020, 06:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

I'm still going to tweak for awhile, but at some point over the next few days I'm going to be sending my headset back to HP for a replacement. This unit has something loose inside the headset that rattles around. It sounds really unnatural and can be really distracting when moving my head at certain angles. It functions fine, but I'd feel more comfortable with a new headset in case it leads to problems down the line.

They apparently have stock for replacements so I shouldn't be without it for too long... :tickedoff:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Ah that's a bummer. Always dissapointing if a new piece of hardware has broken (parts). But best to send it back now, I agree. Hopefully you'll get the new unit asap.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

So far 90% res on the DCS per-application setting seems to be the sweet spot for me. PD is at 1.2. Image is sharp and noticeably better than the G1. Flight is crisp on a map with a lot of allied traffic, but no combat. Need to check that out and see how it effects framerate. Also disabled the GeForce Experience overlay and the Xbox gamebar. Haven't tried that in flight yet, though. Hopefully it will give me a further bounce.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

HP shipped the replacement unit overnight. I had it the next day! No rattle in this one. Yay!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

CptHowdy

just got charged and received my email that says unit has shipped! so hopefully get before the new year  <:-)

Yskonyn

Great news for both of you!

I've been spending a lot of time in Elite and DCS with the G2. Very happy with my purchase!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

CptHowdy

supposed to be getting this thing delivered later today sometime. any tips or tricks to getting it setup properly, any settings that should be adjusted that the user manual doesnt mention etc... thanks.

Yskonyn

It was a pretty painless thing. Works fine out of the box and is easy to setup.
The only thing is that SteamVR sets the resolution to something extremely high by default. You'll probably need to lower this manually.

It started the slider at 150% on my system.
Be advised that 100% resolution in SteamVR still gets you a higher resolution than the raw per-eye res of the headset. HP has confirmed that this is correct because due to the barrel distortion of the fresnel lenses Supersampling gets used to correct this.
So the 100% setting really is 140% supersampling, or somewhere close.
My GTX1080 is able to run some games well at this setting, but DCS and MSFS are too heavy.
The raw native resolution per eye without super sampling is 2160x2160 on th headset, which equals to about 54% on the slider in SteamVR (you wont get exactlt aligned numbers).
Keep that in mind if you run into performance problems. Supersampling is very resource intensive.

Yskonyn

Weird thing started happening all of a sudden today;

My Reverb G2 has been plugged into one of my USB3 ports directly on the motherboard since the beginning. I did use the USB-C to A converter plug that came with the unit. Has been functioning without issue until today. Suddenly WMR reports that the headset is unable to start at 90hz.
I tried plugging it into a USB-C port, but no change.
Internet search comes up with mostly AMD related issues, which I don't have.

Then I decide to try the PCI-e addon card I bought for the 3rd sensor of my Rift and now it runs in 90hz again! There is not logic to this at all, imo. Why would the unit run fine for over two weeks on one of the mainboard's ports to suddenly throw these errors?

Jarhead0331

Anything else change on your system? Any updates installed?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 30, 2020, 06:04:49 PM

Not that I am aware of, unless Microsoft pushed something behind the scene.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on December 30, 2020, 06:37:43 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 30, 2020, 06:04:49 PM

Not that I am aware of, unless Microsoft pushed something behind the scene.

Maybe try unrolling the last MS quality update?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Well, plugging it into the addon card usb hub seems to have resolved the issue for now.

Jarhead0331

Ok. Now...don't touch anything!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 31, 2020, 07:48:18 AM
Ok. Now...don't touch anything!

I had to! I discovered that the SteamVR global resolution slider being different from the 'per App' slider causes some weird issues for DCS.
My initial idea was to set the global res to 100% which equals to about 1.4PD or 140% super sampling, cause all other games besides DCS run fine on that setting. I would then make a 'per app' profile for DCS to enable motion smoothing (effectively locking it at 45 fps and use motion smoothing to get smooth movement) and lower the res to as close to raw per eye res of the G2 as I can to get rid of supersampling and have decent performance. This would be around 54% resolution mark on the slider.

Yet, when I run DCS the actual resolution gets randomly set in the 70 - 80 % range. Which is puzzeling and probably the reason I did not get the same performance each time I loaded DCS. Even though its very playable, I did notice apparent changes in performance from one session to the other.

Now that I have set the global resolution slider as close to raw res per eye as I can, the game behaves much more stable and the res doesn't change around.
Weird, but there you have it.

I also installed fpsVR which is an excellent tool to monitor performance. It's made clear that my 1080 is the bottleneck. CPU frametime is between 7 and 18, which is fine, but GPU frametimes are constantly in orange 16 - 23. Still ok, but barely.
VRAM is 7.6 of 8GB loaded so not much room left there either.
This is with raw res, no supersampling. It goes into red immediately if I bump up the res.
I did discover that shadows don't make much difference at all so I've re-enabled them.