Field of Glory - Medieval Competition

Started by Boggit, January 05, 2021, 11:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boggit

OK. I've put the request in to Paolo. I will DM you all as and when I get the codes. <:-)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Bardolph

Just want to say thanks to Boggit and Paolo. Got it installed, played the tutorials and am in the process of setting up matches with Tripoli and under_score already.

Gusington

Wanted to post that right now I cannot participate in the competition but hopefully will be able to in a few weeks or months.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Boggit

Quote from: Gusington on February 28, 2021, 02:03:35 PM
Wanted to post that right now I cannot participate in the competition but hopefully will be able to in a few weeks or months.
I know your situation and quite understand. The competition will probably last into that timeframe anyway, so I hope you eventually get to participate. Please give your division opponents an update in a few weeks as to whether you can still participate. O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

I got an email today saying that one contender could not choose his own army from the challenge received.

I've set up another challenge as a test for him. I set up a skirmish and whilst I set up my choice, I left his alone on Pot Luck.

Is anyone else having the issue of receiving a challenge, but not getting to choose their army of choice?

I also had this happen with my private MP game with Al_Infierno.

It may be that we're doing something wrong in the set up method, or it may be a technical glitch?

@Al_infierno:
I'm happy to play any army with you in any case, but to help figure out what is going on did you select on my behalf or leave this as Pot Luck? Cheers! Boggit. :)

al_infierno

I chose Pot Luck for both of us, and it picked random armies for us both.  I'm pretty sure whoever issues the challenge needs to ask the other player what their army preference is, and choose it for them when setting up the challenge.  Pot Luck seems to mean "random army."
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Yskonyn

I made random armies for all my challenges. Its a fun way to do things, for me at least.
The system pairs armies from the same period, so whats the issue exactly?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Boggit

Quote from: al_infierno on March 02, 2021, 08:19:14 PM
I chose Pot Luck for both of us, and it picked random armies for us both.  I'm pretty sure whoever issues the challenge needs to ask the other player what their army preference is, and choose it for them when setting up the challenge.  Pot Luck seems to mean "random army."
I think this is exactly what is happening. I think your advice if people want to play a particular army is sound. :)

Boggit

Quote from: Yskonyn on March 04, 2021, 04:22:10 PM
I made random armies for all my challenges. Its a fun way to do things, for me at least.
The system pairs armies from the same period, so whats the issue exactly?
I understand what you say. I can see your method can be fun, but some people want to be specific as to the army they play, which is the issue for them.

I think the solution is as Al_infierno says; to agree armies beforehand with their opponent, or agree pot luck if they don't mind what army they are to play. That way a game can be specific army matches, pot luck or a specific army vs pot luck.

nelmsm

If I'm in your division then please start up a game and send it my way so I can get the ass kicking I have coming out of the way.  You can reach me at melmsm@att.net

Yskonyn

All my division mates are able to find a battle of me vs you in the game.
Join the applicable one and we can get going!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Shelldrake

Quote from: nelmsm on March 06, 2021, 09:25:50 AM
If I'm in your division then please start up a game and send it my way so I can get the ass kicking I have coming out of the way.  You can reach me at melmsm@att.net

Is that a typo (m instead of n) in your email address?
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

nelmsm

Quote from: Shelldrake on March 11, 2021, 03:17:47 PM
Quote from: nelmsm on March 06, 2021, 09:25:50 AM
S
Is that a typo (m instead of n) in your email address?

No it's right now I have it. The AT&T guy who set it up wasn't the brightest bulb in the box and I was too lazy to change it

under_score

Bardolph and I finished up our battle today.  My Normans defeated his French.  It was a too chaotic thing for me to try to write up a good battle report like Tripoli did.  In general, we both sent our horsemen wide and infantry in the center so that we ended up with three pretty distinct battles going on.  The most noticeable thing for me was that my infantry fought like hell, managing to hold morale longer than expected.  The French, on the other hand, were rally masters.  I grew to dread the sound of those trumpets.  But with the center secured, I was able to divert enough troops to either flanks to keep both in play and grind out a very bloody win.  In the end, our losses were 60% to 50%, and the battlefield is littered with the dead.
Probably the most fun battle I've fought yet.  Thanks for a great game Bardolph.