Sink Anthony Eden!

Started by MengJiao, February 03, 2022, 01:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Having drifted in a WWII at sea direction, I've been looking over different WWII at sea games.   I think PQ-17 is one of the best despite its many quirky layers of quikiness.
So I was looking at yet another arctic convoy run (PQ-6 actually...the first one in the PQ-17 playbook) when I noticed an optional rule in a footnote: Anthony Eden is traveling in the cruiser
Kent to get to Russian in December 1941.  There's even a newsreel of him describing his trip on his return (not within the confines of the game of course).  Anyway, the
Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine (and maybe even the Russians...there's
some possibility of "friendly fire" at least historically) can get extra point for sinking Kent before it reaches Russia.  +2 VP to the Royal Navy if Anthony is delivered on time to
his destination intact.
Anyway...given that Lord Kitchener perished on June 5, 1916 on a similar trip to Russia, when the armored cruiser Hampshire hit a mine just outside of Scapa Flow
...you can imagine the suspense,
maybe... sort of...anyway here is Anthony Eden looking into the British Army armored part of Home Defense, back from Russia in 1942:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on February 03, 2022, 01:56:36 PM
  Having drifted in a WWII at sea direction, I've been looking over different WWII at sea games.   I think PQ-17 is one of the best despite its many quirky layers of quikiness.
So I was looking at yet another arctic convoy run (PQ-6 actually...the first one in the PQ-17 playbook) when I noticed an optional rule in a footnote: Anthony Eden is traveling in the cruiser
Kent to get to Russian in December 1941.

The big picture...in December it's pretty much always night this close to the north pole.  The two black dice stand as emblematic items for the many hours of darkness.  There wasn't much of an active
Kriegsmarine presence in Norway at that point.  Bismarck had been sunk six months before and Scharnhorst and Gneisenau were in Brest (where they had been for almost 10 months)...they would make their channel dash in February 1942.  The objective of the dash was to reinforce Norway, but the results of the damage incurred during that operation put them both out of action (Gneisenau more or less permanently and Scharnhorst for quite a while) and Tirpitz wasn't available yet.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on February 03, 2022, 03:01:52 PM

The game precisely duplicated the historical result: no serious hits on any Allied ships (or anyone else). Kent reached Russia.  Here's Kent about a month before the events the game seeks to
represent: