A Glimpse of the Nightmare of Sipontum: 334 BC

Started by MengJiao, February 22, 2022, 03:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Alexander, King of Epirus and Uncle of Alexander the Great, set out to save some Greeks from some Italic Tribes.  After three or four battles and Alexander's alliance with Rome, the tribesmen finally killed him so one of his other relatives, Pyrrhus eventually arrived and survived his time in Magna Grecia.  Anyway, for starters, he went after the tribes near Sipontum and it might have looked something like this:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on February 22, 2022, 03:07:59 PM

Alexander, King of Epirus and Uncle of Alexander the Great, set out to save some Greeks from some Italic Tribes.  After three or four battles and Alexander's alliance with Rome, the tribesmen finally killed him so one of his other relatives, Pyrrhus eventually arrived and survived his time in Magna Grecia.  Anyway, for starters, he went after the tribes near Sipontum and it might have looked something like this:

About half an hour into the battle and the tribal forces begin to advance:

Gusington

This looks a little more complex than some of the other titles you've posted shots of recently.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on February 22, 2022, 08:13:36 PM
This looks a little more complex than some of the other titles you've posted shots of recently.

I'm pretty used to the Great Battles system.  I use the simpler command system from Hoplite and in this case, mostly the tables from SPQR.  Nevsky seemed really complex to me with all the cards and time lines and phases and such...in fact, I wanted to play something less challenging and more familiar.  The scenario is from C3I 26 (2012) and in the Great Battles system, units just take various "cohesion hits" from different sources (terrain, movement, fear, arrows, javelins, bumping into other formations, retreating, seeing elephants, seeing others running away etc.) until they flee the battle.  When enough of the high morale units have run away, the whole army runs away.  Crude but effective in representing the ancient world from which there's not all that much objective information.  For example, when Livy discusses the campaigns of Alexander of Epirus, he spends a lot of time comparing Alexander's army with Hannibal's a century later and a highly idealized Roman army from even later.  Once you've been through all that you realize what a great source Herodotus is -- especially for Plataea -- compared to texts from hundreds of years later.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on February 22, 2022, 05:24:52 PM

And a little later the Marines attack and damage themselves a lot more than the peltasts they attacked:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on February 23, 2022, 10:38:59 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on February 22, 2022, 05:24:52 PM

And a little later the Marines attack and damage themselves a lot more than the peltasts they attacked:

But then the Samnites (here represented by "Ligurians" hefting axes) charged and that was it for assorted peltasts and also caused the retreat of various elite cavalry types.  A few minutes later
the Lucanian javelin horsemen (here represented by "numidians") shattered the light cavalry and killed Leptines and then the Gaulic lancers drove off skirmishers and halted a heap of hoplites and then things got really rough as the Brutti (here represented by the Brutti) heavy infantry charged and nearly obliterated the phalanx that Alexander was leading.  At that point losses were 45 to 8 in the tribal favor.  I think I have to reinforce Alexander's army and try again.

MengJiao

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on February 23, 2022, 08:24:05 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on February 23, 2022, 02:45:27 PM

I think I have to reinforce Alexander's army and try again.

The new line-up:

The indefatigable Rutilius attacks the center of the Alexandrine array.  Rutilius is specified for some reason as a tribal commander in the C3I scenario.  So here he is:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on February 25, 2022, 11:49:41 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on February 23, 2022, 08:24:05 PM

The new line-up:

The indefatigable Rutilius attacks the center of the Alexandrine array.  Rutilius is specified for some reason as a tribal commander in the C3I scenario.  So here he is:

The Brutti threaten the nuclear option : the Brutti:

MengJiao

Rutilius rallies his "Iberian" light infantry: