Operation Barbarossa Price Drop

Started by Bismarck, November 10, 2012, 03:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bismarck

I wouldn't call it cheap but the games is nice beer-and-pretzels.
Jim Cobb

Staggerwing

Thanks for the heads up!

LINK

$29.99 for the D/L. Looks like it's the new set pricepoint.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bismarck

I was underwhelmed when Op Barb first came out but, after a week of busting my hump over Alea Jacta Est, this feels good.

For the uninitiated, this game is tactical East Front; think Panzer General/Panzer Corps with a bit more historical basis. The campaigns run through short locked scenarios. Stand-alone scenarios are available and a free expansion is available in the Matrix forum.
Jim Cobb

Steelgrave

My question would be if you own Panzer Corps and the add-ons, does Op Barb scratch any itches not covered by Panzer Corps? Is it worthwhile to own both?

Bismarck

Quote from: Steelgrave on November 10, 2012, 04:19:56 PM
My question would be if you own Panzer Corps and the add-ons, does Op Barb scratch any itches not covered by Panzer Corps? Is it worthwhile to own both?

Yes, PzC is largely abstract to the point of fictional. Op Barb has an element of history by giving scenarios historical objectives and outcomes, e.g. if objectives are not met the campaign ends.

From the manual:

Campaigns are a string of scenarios following the most important battles of the entire
Barbarossa conflict. A scenario is a single battle that had a historical impact on the outcome of
the Second World War. Although all scenarios are historical, some of the single scenarios have
been adjusted to be somewhat "hypothetical" to achieve a better balance of play. This is noted
in the scenario briefing.
Jim Cobb

Steelgrave

Thanks, Bis. You've never led me astray  8) Gonna head over there now and pick it up.

tgb

Quote from: Bismarck on November 10, 2012, 04:45:23 PM

Yes, PzC is largely abstract to the point of fictional. Op Barb has an element of history by giving scenarios historical objectives and outcomes, e.g. if objectives are not met the campaign ends.

From the manual:

Campaigns are a string of scenarios following the most important battles of the entire
Barbarossa conflict. A scenario is a single battle that had a historical impact on the outcome of
the Second World War. Although all scenarios are historical, some of the single scenarios have
been adjusted to be somewhat "hypothetical" to achieve a better balance of play. This is noted

How would you compare it to Unity of Command?

Bismarck

Quote from: tgb on November 10, 2012, 06:12:22 PM
Quote from: Bismarck on November 10, 2012, 04:45:23 PM

From the manual:

How would you compare it to Unity of Command?

UoC is much more serious.  Yet, IIRCC, UoC is limited to Case Blue.
Jim Cobb

Tuna

Is it like Panzer General/Corps where if you don't finish the mission by a certain amount of turns you fail?

Bismarck

Quote from: Tuna on November 10, 2012, 08:46:28 PM
Is it like Panzer General/Corps where if you don't finish the mission by a certain amount of turns you fail?

Yeah.

I knew I should've reviewed it years ago. Now I get to explain it.  See the evils of procrastination?
Jim Cobb