New Steam App for Mobiles

Started by LongBlade, January 27, 2012, 04:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

OK, this is kinda big news. Steam has just launched a new app for mobile users. No, we're not going to be playing Team Fortress 2 on our Android phones, but we will be able to plug into the community to chat and socialize.

Full article can be found here: http://store.steampowered.com/news/7231/?snr=1_550_552&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

I've gotta say that so far I'm not impressed with the app. I installed it on my Kindle Fire. It took *forever* to figure out what my Steam User ID was.

After I keyed it (and triple-checked the string as it isn't exactly small) in it still didn't work.

son_of_montfort

IIRC, the Steam App is still in beta. I haven't installed it yet, as I have very little incentive to check my Steam stuff on my mobile devices. Usually I am either in a home with a computer I could use to check Steam or in my own home. If I want to look at Steam on the go, I just go to the website version on my mobile device's browser.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Staggerwing

Quote from: son_of_montfort on January 29, 2012, 11:17:23 AM
IIRC, the Steam App is still in beta. I haven't installed it yet, as I have very little incentive to check my Steam stuff on my mobile devices. Usually I am either in a home with a computer I could use to check Steam or in my own home. If I want to look at Steam on the go, I just go to the website version on my mobile device's browser.

What do you think of the Fire compared to the iPad? I'm looking for a 7inch tablet primarily for my youngest son.
Is it fairly easy to navigate? He watches a lot of cartoons on youtube and I'd need to be able to manage the content
the way you can on the website as well as have access to a wide range of kids apps for Android. I don't know much
about Android tabs as yet but do know that there are compatibility issues with many apps and specific tablets.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

I have both an ipad and a fire. I need to sit down and get some thoughts together for you.

son_of_montfort

I do not have a Fire (I have a regular Kindle, I prefer no backlighting on a reading device), but I do have an iPad. I love my iPad. That being said, it may an expensive proposition for a youngster. The fire is more affordable.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert