Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Well, the deed is done. The Warthog has been mothballed and the Winwing Super Libra and Taurus have been set up and integrated into my pit. They feel absolutely fantastic, but it is going to take awhile to get used to the new feel and to remap the stick, throttle and flight ready panel. I got so used to my set up with the Warthog. I'm still a little sad to see them laying on the floor in the corner. 🙁

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Toonces

That is really impressive. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Destraex

How does this look with the VR headset on? Or you using Track IR with this baby?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on October 03, 2021, 07:09:17 AM
How does this look with the VR headset on? Or you using Track IR with this baby?

It doesn't look like anything with a VR headset on. You can't see it, but the buttons still work and I know where they all are. I put little adhesive beads on some of the central buttons to help orient.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Dammit Carl!

"Honey, I need to get something off of the computer."
"Okay.  Help yourself."
(Looks at overwhelming technology, much less where the on/off switch is)
".... ???..."

Gusington

Pfft you let The Wife touch your computer??

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Gusington on October 03, 2021, 03:27:11 PM
Pfft you let The Wife touch your computer??

Yes, and I cringe in fear each time she does so.

Gusington

^Rightfully so.

'Women and machinery do not mix.'

-A Great Man

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 03, 2021, 07:43:15 AM

It doesn't look like anything with a VR headset on. You can't see it, but the buttons still work and I know where they all are. I put little adhesive beads on some of the central buttons to help orient.

I am guessing you do not use a VR glove to flick any switches inside the VR environment then?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on October 03, 2021, 09:24:49 PM

I am guessing you do not use a VR glove to flick any switches inside the VR environment then?

Correct. I do not. The technology with DCS just isn't where it needs to be for that yet. Leap motion, Capto Glove, etc. Too inconsistent. I do have this on order though...

https://pointctrl.com/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 03, 2021, 09:33:04 PM
Quote from: Destraex on October 03, 2021, 09:24:49 PM

Correct. I do not. The technology with DCS just isn't where it needs to be for that yet. Leap motion, Capto Glove, etc. Too inconsistent. I do have this on order though...

https://pointctrl.com/

Appreciate the explanations. Gives me a good appreciation of what I should do myself. Which is just stick with trackir and not be too worried about falling behind the VR wagon atm. I am confused enough without feeling for keys and mapping everything all the time. I like to use the defaults wherever I can even if it is a little inconvenient simply because I am such a casual DCS player.

However I have a mate who uses VR in DCS (occulus rift-s I think) who has everything mapped.
I especially hate in Star Citizen atm when a patch comes down and it changes all the keys.  :)
I might eventually jump in to vr when I eventually replace my 1080 GPU. Hopefully not for some time.

SirAndrewD

HA!  I solved my center stick mounting issues with the Virpil.  I'll post some pictures today....

Thank goodness for meal trays and bricks. 

My simpit is the most cheap DIY ever.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

VR in DCS can be so glorious one day and yet so frustrating the next. Performance is so inconsistent. One day you can finally start to feel like you have struck a good balance between performance and clarity and then the next, for whatever reason, your FPS starts to chug without having made any obvious changes to any setting. Perhaps windows update? Maybe your GPU software got an update? DCS released a new beta build? SteamVR was updated? There are just so many variables and there are so many opinions out there on how to maximize performance and clarity that it is so easy to get confused or misled...the slightest difference in hardware config can make one person's settings entirely inappropriate for another. There is just no way to know.

Last night I planned on finally digging into the new Winwing setup when I decided to update my Pimax 8KX to the latest firmware and PiTool builds. It seemed to contain important updates that might drastically increase performance.  However, the God damn firmware bricked my headset for all intents and purposes, which could no longer be detected no matter what I tried. I spent hours trying to get it sorted. I opened a support ticket and they responded within 2 hours. There was a lot of back and forth by email from me and Beijing, but between their correspondence which included some debugging versions of the firmware, rolling back to the prior version of the PiTool and a lot of trial and error, I finally got it up and running again.

Of course, it was nearly 0400 by that point so I haven't actually tried to use it in game yet. I'll, of course, be petrified anytime I try to update the PiTool or firmware in the future.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Redwolf

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 06, 2021, 08:52:53 AM
VR in DCS can be so glorious one day and yet so frustrating the next. Performance is so inconsistent. One day you can finally start to feel like you have struck a good balance between performance and clarity and then the next, for whatever reason, your FPS starts to chug without having made any obvious changes to any setting. Perhaps windows update? Maybe your GPU software got an update? DCS released a new beta build? SteamVR was updated? There are just so many variables and there are so many opinions out there on how to maximize performance and clarity that it is so easy to get confused or misled...the slightest difference in hardware config can make one person's settings entirely inappropriate for another. There is just no way to know.

Yeah. Good change management would require to only ever update one single thing between any two opportunities to test that change. And automated testing is near impossible for this kind of interactive games situation.

This would quickly turn into a full-time job for any modern VR-enabled PC. And even if you were willing to do that, the delays in accepting some updates could create a real problem if/when security updates are held up in the testing queue. Not to mention forced updates, software you cannot use (test) if it isn't up-to-date.

Did you get your FPS sorted?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Redwolf on October 06, 2021, 11:06:34 AM

Did you get your FPS sorted?

Sorting the FPS is a constant struggle. Per the above, one thing gets updated and throws everything out of balance. I still haven't had a chance to test anything since the great Pimax debacle last night. Hopefully, I'll have the chance to try things out tonight and see what is what.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog