Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

Man alive that sounds frustrating.

One thing I really don't like about DCS is their frequent updates.  Or at least they seem frequent to me.  Every time a few weeks go by and I decide to boot up DCS for the first time it takes hours for it to download the latest update.  Every single time. 

I know that's not what your problem was last night, but it's the same principle. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Toonces on October 06, 2021, 12:53:13 PM
Man alive that sounds frustrating.

One thing I really don't like about DCS is their frequent updates.  Or at least they seem frequent to me.  Every time a few weeks go by and I decide to boot up DCS for the first time it takes hours for it to download the latest update.  Every single time. 

I know that's not what your problem was last night, but it's the same principle.

Yes. The only alternative to this would be to run the stable build. The open beta receives updates every 2 to 3 weeks generally, but they tend to be very stable, add a lot of great features and kill a lot of bugs so it is worth it in my view. It is really these updates, coupled with updates of everything else, that just creates issues. Until DCS becomes more optimized for VR, I think it is just par for the course.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Redwolf

Another part of the problem is that the Change Logs released with the changes are almost always useless. "Fixed some bugs" and like statements.

That applies to the whole chain. So if you notice a change you don't like in the outcome you can't go through the changelogs to find who's likely responsible.

Yskonyn

Yeah its definately frustrating at times.
The constant hunt for better or at least more consistent performance is what makes me hesitant to recommend VR to anyone other than early adopters / enthousiasts.

If it makes a guy like you and me frustrated at times, it'll be hell on earth for the more casual player.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 06, 2021, 03:23:39 PM
The constant hunt for better or at least more consistent performance is what makes me hesitant to recommend VR to anyone other than early adopters / enthousiasts.

If it makes a guy like you and me frustrated at times, it'll be hell on earth for the more casual player.

True, but really only as it pertains to DCS. There are so many native VR games that are such a blast to play and there is no technical or performance hurdle to get over. It really is just an issue with games that are not optimized for running in VR and sadly, DCS is one of the worst offenders.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

Been playing the F5 with a mate lately. I really needed something basic like this aircraft!

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Rekim

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 06, 2021, 04:34:33 PM

True, but really only as it pertains to DCS. There are so many native VR games that are such a blast to play and there is no technical or performance hurdle to get over. It really is just an issue with games that are not optimized for running in VR and sadly, DCS is one of the worst offenders.

The biggest single improvement for me is still the OpenVR FSR mod. I noticed a FPS drop after an update to DCS. The update had clobbered the openvr.dll file. This has happened with each update so far. An easy remedy is to keep a copy of the modded .dll in the /bin directory.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Destraex on October 07, 2021, 03:37:37 AM
Been playing the F5 with a mate lately.

Huh?  Looks like a Mig-28 to me. 

Can you get it in a 4 G negative dive?
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Rekim on October 07, 2021, 01:29:53 PM

The biggest single improvement for me is still the OpenVR FSR mod. I noticed a FPS drop after an update to DCS. The update had clobbered the openvr.dll file. This has happened with each update so far. An easy remedy is to keep a copy of the modded .dll in the /bin directory.

Interesting. Do you reinstall the mod dll after each update?

I was blown away by this mod the first time I ran it. For some reason, it was totally magic. But I've had mixed results since and I'm totally at a loss for why.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Hellfire...this is the last of the sneak peak series. The next video will be the full blown tutorial showcases. We're definitely getting close to EA pre-sale.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Rekim

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 07, 2021, 01:51:36 PM
Quote from: Rekim on October 07, 2021, 01:29:53 PM

Interesting. Do you reinstall the mod dll after each update?

I was blown away by this mod the first time I ran it. For some reason, it was totally magic. But I've had mixed results since and I'm totally at a loss for why.

Yes. I reinstall the mod after each update.

Jarhead0331

Eagle Dynamics is dropping major hints that the Apache pre-sale may be kicking off very soon...like today soon...

Premiers at 11:00 EST

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Pre-sale is live. BOUGHT!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Skoop

Nice, me too !  That means flying by December.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Skoop on October 08, 2021, 12:39:46 PM
Nice, me too !  That means flying by December.

Yes. The announcement states that early access will be this year! So they are still on track for a 2021 release.

Just awesome.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog