Zulus on the Ramparts

Started by spelk, March 29, 2012, 12:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spelk

Just updated this Victory Point Games boardgame AAR for Zulus on the Ramparts.

I'll post the links to the previous entries...

Part 1 (Turn 1, 2, 3 and 4)
Part 2 (Turn 5, 6, 7 and 8 )
Part 3 (Turn 9, 10, 11 and 12)
Part 4 (Turn 13, 14, 15 and 16)
Part 5 (Turn 17, 18, 19 and 20)
Part 6 (Turn 21, 22, 23 and 24)

The final part 7, coming soon.

spelk

TheCommandTent

Thanks for posting I didn't get to read it all but what I did looks good so far!  When I find some time I'll finish the rest.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

spelk

The fact that it took me so long to write it up, is a testament to how tricky it is to document a boardgame. The game is a quick play simple rules effort, normally over in 30 mins to 1 hour. However, I remember sitting down to document it all, and it took me best part of about 4 hours to get the game to play out and be documented enough so that I could re-create it using a graphics package and some icons, along with the turn structure notes.

I tried to breathe some life into the game, by writing thematic sentences alongside the pure mechanics. I'm not sure it works that well to be honest.

The imagery used, the pocket map, the crude icons, make it very difficult to follow the action just with the images. Which is where the whole idea falls down. Perhaps I should have just abstracted the thing, with placement markers and ignore the actual board itself - it might have made for better reading, better copy on the eye.

Anyway, it was nice to finally get it out in its entirety. I have numerous other projects in limbo, and I want to finalise those too. This is one of my success stories in terms of getting it done, but I'm not quite sure the game translates well to a web/blog style AAR. 

bob48

I really enjoyed your AAR - many thanks for your efforts, it makes me want to get the game!
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!