Volunteers sought to help with depicting Korsun Pocket in Command Ops

Started by Bletchley_Geek, January 21, 2014, 12:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bletchley_Geek

Hello everyone,

after making a passing remark about how much of a good idea would be to make some sort of homage to the memory of Ian Trout, this post here

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3499750

has started a quite interesting project: bringing the Korsun Pocket battles into Command Ops, which I am co-ordinating.

I am bringing this to the attention of the posters & lurkers here because the call for help I made on Matrix Forums attracted very limited attention (so far one person has come forward offering his help with the mapping). I also managed to convince Pieter de Jong to consider making the scenarios.

The thing is that I have far too much stuff on my plate at the moment (my day job, helping out with Command Ops development and my family) and I see I can't do as much mapping work as I wished. So this message is a call for people willing to volunteer to help us with the mapping work. No previous experience is required: I am glad to offer guidance on how to approach Command Ops map making tools.

At the moment we're working on three master maps covering the following areas:

* Shpola - Burtki (i.e. the German right flank) covering a 70x70 kilometers  area.

* Korsun - Lisyanka (i.e. covering the area where the breakout took place) covering a 46 x 25 kilometers area.

* 'Uman - Lisyanka (i.e. the German left flank) covering an area slightly bigger than the Shpola - Burtki map.

These are quite huge, and help would be very welcome with the third map.

Note that this is not going to be a Command Ops expansion pack - the intent is that it becomes a quality community project.

Besides that, there are also two other 'community' CommandOps projects  I'm considering to kickstart are:

* A set of scenarios following the narrative in this book here

http://www.amazon.com/THE-DEFENSE-MOSCOW-1941-Hardcover/dp/B00EQSXLLC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389836297&sr=8-2&keywords=Jack+Radey

I got extensive high-quality topographical maps already, but I haven't made my mind yet about what AO's to cover.

* The Lorraine Campaign - a much better known topic, I think. I already got good quality map scans of the Lorraine which would have to be complemented with higher resolution topographical maps to cover specific actions.

If anyone is interested in participating on any of these projects or has any other kind of questions, just drop me an e-mail.

Cheers,

Bletchley_Geek (Miquel).

PS: You might want to check out the first of these quality community projects progress here (this one is being coordinated by Tim Williams and Jim Carravalah):

http://pacifictheateroperations.blogspot.com.au/

panzerde

Miquel - have you reached out to Chris Maiorana of the Sharp End Gaming blog? This seems right up his alley, and he's already done a bunch of the ESTAB work.

As always, I'm happy to playtest and kibbitz.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Bletchley_Geek

Quote from: panzerde on February 04, 2014, 07:43:10 PM
Miquel - have you reached out to Chris Maiorana of the Sharp End Gaming blog? This seems right up his alley, and he's already done a bunch of the ESTAB work.

Hi Panzerde,

no, I haven't. The main reason for that is that I don't want to distract him from his plans to move onto Sicily :)

panzerde

LOL, actually those are my plans to move on to Sicily! You'll need a Hetzer to move Chris off of the Eastern Front!
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Bletchley_Geek

Quote from: panzerde on February 20, 2014, 09:03:00 PM
LOL, actually those are my plans to move on to Sicily! You'll need a Hetzer to move Chris off of the Eastern Front!

I think I just confused Chris with you :)