Main Menu

Maps!

Started by bayonetbrant, January 23, 2014, 11:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

That is a terrific find!

Oddly, I don't see Latin represented unless it is supposed to be the actual Romance branch itself.  ???
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

I would flip the Dutch / German branches so that Dutch was closer to French, but otherwise looks pretty cool
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 27, 2014, 12:17:42 PM
I would flip the Dutch / German branches so that Dutch was closer to French, but otherwise looks pretty cool

Modern Dutch probably seems closer to French because of all the loan words. Most of those probably date back only to the latter 18th and early 19th century.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

Very cool, Brant.

I wonder what that means? My guess is that agricultural efficiency has improved. Smaller, isolated farms disappeared and were replaced with forest, while intensive agriculture became much more productive.

Any thoughts on the systems behind these changes?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bayonetbrant

LongBlade

Cool. I get partial credit!

bayonetbrant

LongBlade

bayonetbrant

http://www.buzzfeed.com/patricksmith/heres-a-map-of-all-the-rude-place-names-in-the-uk

QuoteThe UK is full of rude place names. The North-West has a Two Butt Lane and a Pincock, while Yorkshire is arguably worse, boasting an Upperthong.

more at the link

BanzaiCat

You'd think the birthplace of English would understand how the language has changed in the last several hundred years. :)

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 05, 2014, 11:50:49 AM
You'd think the birthplace of English would understand how the language has changed in the last several hundred years. :)

sometimes its so hard to talk that poofter Bawb.   :smitten:
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Staggerwing

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 04, 2014, 10:16:10 AM

click to enlarge

When fossil fuels replace wood for heating the trees win!

GDS_Starfury

why does Windy hate Scandinavia so much.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Barthheart