Main Menu

Maps!

Started by bayonetbrant, January 23, 2014, 11:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

IIRC Bawb's 'stache went by the name of Washington in America at the time.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bayonetbrant

here's something interesting - US states redrawn to so that the population in each is roughly equal.  Note that none of the existing state names were kept, except NYC inherited the name "New York" b/c it's basically a city-state like LA and Philly.

click to enlarge
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Martok

Fascinating.  Also interesting to see which cities they designated as the capital of each state.  I wonder what factors/thinking (if any) was used in determining them. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bayonetbrant

existing capitals and/or largest cities?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 05, 2016, 07:34:31 AM
existing capitals and/or largest cities?

Never mind - Bakersfield wouldn't have been picked over Fresno.  Both choices suck; both are crappy cities.

Martok

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to them.  Some are indeed existing capitals, some are the new state's most centrally-located (or only) large city/metro area, and others (such as "Fireland's" capital of Elyria, which is in between Cleveland & Toledo) seems to be rather random.  ??? 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

LongBlade

Link to a map possibly used by Columbus. Sorry - having trouble embedding the image here.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/did-this-map-guide-columbus-180955295/
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Barthheart

I'd love a copy of that to mount on my man cave wall. I'm trying to piece together a collect of old maps for the walls.

Barthheart

QuoteThis image shows the latest results as colored dots superimposed on an artist's conception of the Milky Way. Red dots show stars that formed when the Milky Way was young and small, while blue shows stars that formed more recently, when the Milky Way was big and mature. The color scale shows how many billion years have passed since those stars formed. Credit: G. Stinson (MPIA)

http://phys.org/news/2016-01-largest-age-milky-reveals-galaxy.html

Martok

bayonetbrant

Interesting to see 2 of the places I lived in Germany right underneath planned Soviet nuke strikes should the WWIII balloon have ever gone up

click to enlarge

GDS_Starfury

whats more interesting is that the major strikes lay across the deep logistic paths of NATO armies and lines of retreat.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 29, 2016, 01:21:18 AM
whats more interesting is that the major strikes lay across the deep logistic paths of NATO armies and lines of retreat.

A lot of those locations were NATO equipment / ammo stockpiles.

Interestingly enough, they missed most of the nuclear weapons storage sites from the old 59th Ordnance Brigade.

They did manage to get virtually all the major airbases, though.

steve58

A new digital map offers an impressive rendering of the Mars landscape.

Using NASA open data, Ordnance Survey, the U.K.'s national mapping agency, has surveyed part of the red planet's surface to create a one-off paper and digital map. The 2,282-by-1,691-mile Mars map, produced at a scale of 1 to 4 million, is part of an OS effort to assess potential use of its mapping expertise for future Mars missions.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016/02/16/uk-mapping-agency-ordnance-survey-creates-cool-digital-mars-map.html?intcmp=hplnws

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/about/news/2016/os-maps-out-of-this-world.html

Zoomable map images available here:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/osmapping/

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.