Best Modern Device for a Writer?

Started by Gusington, April 13, 2012, 10:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

^I'm pretty much going to use it to spread the word of my blog/site. I'm good at reading fine print and never store personal stuff anywhere, even at Steam.

Thing is every one of my real life friends and family (except one curmudgeon like me) is on there and has been brow-beating me for years to join. I don't just to annoy them :)

I'm hoping a little discipline with FB goes a long way.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Centurion40

Quote from: LongBlade on May 07, 2012, 11:01:15 AM
Quote from: Gusington on May 07, 2012, 10:57:16 AM
^I am looking at Wordpress right now. They have a nice one for image-centric sites, which mine will be. Haven't looked around at Blogger or Tumblr yet.

I have also made the realization that once I start this thing I will have to join Facebook and the 21st century for some exposure. Not excited about that really.

The key to Facebook is in how you use it.

I almost never go on there to catch up with people. I use it to upload images of my family for family members.

The other thing is that you'll want to seriously consider every friend request. Not all "friends" are "friends." Grousing on FB about work can land you in serious trouble if you have a co-worker who can see your post and decides to make an issue of it.

FB has become better at allowing you to create groups from which you can wall-off certain info, but the truth is I don't trust it. I think it's a must to have a FB account, but I prefer the info be predominately one-way: from FB to me. I send up very little to it.

True confession:  I just look at your dog pictures.
Any time is a good time for pie.

LongBlade

Quote from: Centurion40 on May 07, 2012, 02:01:45 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on May 07, 2012, 11:01:15 AM
^I am looking at Wordpress right now. They have a nice one for image-centric sites, which mine will be. Haven't looked around at Blogger or Tumblr yet.

I have also made the realization that once I start this thing I will have to join Facebook and the 21st century for some exposure. Not excited about that really.

The key to Facebook is in how you use it.

I almost never go on there to catch up with people. I use it to upload images of my family for family members.

The other thing is that you'll want to seriously consider every friend request. Not all "friends" are "friends." Grousing on FB about work can land you in serious trouble if you have a co-worker who can see your post and decides to make an issue of it.

FB has become better at allowing you to create groups from which you can wall-off certain info, but the truth is I don't trust it. I think it's a must to have a FB account, but I prefer the info be predominately one-way: from FB to me. I send up very little to it.

True confession:  I just look at your dog pictures.

Well, I have three videos of Max and a Mystery Stump if you need something new.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Centurion40

On your FB??!!  I'll check it out!  Doggies!!  :D

LongBlade

Quote from: Centurion40 on May 07, 2012, 02:18:23 PM
On your FB??!!  I'll check it out!  Doggies!!  :D

Hang on. Gotta upload it. Gimme a few. It'll be in three parts.

Centurion40

Goddam FB timeline really grinds my gears!!

LongBlade

It's my first trilogy. You can imagine how complex orchestrating that was.

Vids are up. Enjoy!

Arctic Blast

The free version that they host, or the kind where you'll run it off of some rented server space?

And why would you have to join Facebook? I'm not there. And I'm pretty damn cool.  8)

LongBlade

Quote from: Arctic Blast on May 07, 2012, 03:04:13 PM
And why would you have to join Facebook? I'm not there. And I'm pretty damn cool.  8)

Living in the Arctic isn't the kind of "cool" he's talking about...

TheCommandTent

I don't know anything about WordPress so I can't speak to that.  However, with my blogger blog I have never advertised or really shared my posts on FB but I've slowly garnered a small following posting on web forums containing people of similar interest.

I think it all depends on what you really want to get out of your blog.  If you are in it to make money and get tons of followers then you probably should advertise it everywhere you can.  If you just want to share you work with people who would actually be interested in it then you probably only need to share it on like minded websites and the word will spread from there.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Gusington

A little bit of both. Plus I will use it as practice to keep my writing skills from shriveling again.

Arctic will probably go to FB to give it more exposure.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Gusington on May 07, 2012, 08:36:45 PM
A little bit of both. Plus I will use it as practice to keep my writing skills from shriveling again.

Arctic will probably go to FB to give it more exposure.

I don't see how sharing naked pictures of yourself is going to help, but more power to ya.

Gusington

^You haven't seen them yet. They are extraordinary. And I don't mean just the pictures themselves either.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd