Streaming Gems (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.)

Started by BanzaiCat, December 12, 2014, 09:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

Just a head's up on a few other shows I've seen on Netflix lately.

I watched a show called Squid Game a few weeks ago before I found out it's a worldwide sensation.  It is kinda weird and the acting is a bit over-the-top, especially by one of the female characters.  You'll know which one I mean.  Still, I found the show somehow compelling and ended up finishing it.  I'm giving it a high recommendation.  It's just really unusual.

I also watched a movie called The Platform.  It is one of the most interesting and unique premises for a movie I've ever seen.  I loved it right up to the very end, which I didn't like at all.  So I watched it a second time to see what I missed and if I liked the ending better the second time around.  I didn't.  My son and I looked it up on Google to find out what the meaning of the ending was, and it turns out the symbolism in the movie is a lot more prevalent than I picked up on.  It didn't make me like the end better, but at least now I understand it.  I give it two thumbs up and very highly recommend it and maybe you'll like the ending better than I did.  Warning: it's pretty dark and violent, not a movie you necessarily want to watch on date night if you're looking to score that evening.

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Toonces

Quote from: Sir Slash on June 07, 2021, 09:45:14 PM
A little less excellent was the prequel series, "Better Call Saul" which had less action but still managed to be entertaining.  :notworthy:

I started watching Better Call Saul last week and just finished up Season 1 last night.  I am really enjoying it!  No, it's not quite as good as Breaking Bad, but I am very impressed how the writers created these backstories for all of the Breaking Bad characters that integrate so well into that show.  Saul kinda reminds me of The Witcher; always trying to do the right thing in these morally ambiguous situations.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

W8taminute

Watched the first 4 episodes of season 1 of Squid Games over the weekend.  I'm liking what I see so far. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

^Just watched the first two Squid Games episodes last night. It goes from odd to bizarre to brutal in like three minutes!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

^Yes it does!  Although the story telling is not as well done as say "The Sopranos" it is engaging enough.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

al_infierno

^ Funny you mention The Sopranos.  I've just started rewatching the series after the release of the prequel tie-in movie Many Saints of Newark.  Unfortunately, that movie was quite a stinker.  Clunky and incoherent plot and very little approaching an actual story arc.  Just felt like a bunch of mobster scenes and Sopranos callbacks loosely strung together. Leslie Odom's character barely had any impact on the story despite being built up as an antagonist. Alessandro Nivola and Michael Gandolfini were definitely the highlights, and the action scenes were well done, but it was completely let down by a lousy script. Strange because David Chase managed to churn out pretty good content for years, but this one is a total miss.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

^ I didn't know what to expect but enjoyed Many Saints. The one scene towards the end on the beach was equally f'd up and great.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

^^Yeah I've been seeing a lot of ads for the new Sopranos movie.  Thanks for the movie assessment.  Too bad it was not that great.

al_infierno

Speak of the devil (literally  >:D) former mafioso Michael Franzese just posted a video review of Many Saints, and holy hell does he rip into it and David Chase.

EDIT - Dang, he REALLY rips into this one...  Calls it one of the worst movies he's ever seen.  I lol'ed at the part where he says "You don't need to portray mobsters as degenerate scumbags to make them look bad, they already make themselves look bad enough!" 
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Toonces

Man, you know I've never seen the Sopranos?   :wow:  I'd really like to watch the series now, but I don't have HBO.

On a separate but related note, I finished all four seasons of Better Call Saul last night.  I really, really enjoyed it.  BUT, why didn't you tell me that there's a fifth season that's not on Netflix!?  I'm watching those last two episodes and saying to myself, there is no way they can wrap up all these story lines in two more shows.  Then the last show I'm thinking, there sure is a lot of ground they're going to need to cover in one hour to wrap this season up.  By halfway through I realized no way this was the final episode and I'd been duped.

Grrrr.....   :knuppel2:

Sir Slash

I can't remember how many seasons I watched on Netflix and then just picked it up on FX, I think? There's supposed to be one more season coming but I haven't heard when. And there'll still be a bunch of storylines to finish-up when they do. BTW, I've never seen the Sopranos either except for a few episodes.

On the flip-side, I'm really liking, "Medici The Magnificent" series on Netflix. Very well done with lots of plot twists and suspense. Not a lot of action though, but great scenery and medieval sets looking like Florence, and on-going cameos by Dustin Hoffman no less. Kind of like The Last Kingdom without the cool Viking battles.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Toonces

Couple of good Netflix movies I've recently watched:

Death to 2021.  It's  basically a parody of a lot of the stuff that happened in 2021 (Covid, Jan 6, etc).  It features a bunch of comedians.  I thought it was hysterical and highly recommend.  It's one hour, so a quick watch.

War Machine.  I'd never heard of this and watched it on a whim last night.  It stars Brad Pitt as GEN Stanley McChrystal and is based on a book that was based on a Rolling Stone article that led to McChrystal's firing from ISAF.  I really enjoyed it.  It really shows what a complete CF Afghanistan is/was.

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bobarossa

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 02, 2022, 07:43:08 PM
Dont look up was good.
I enjoyed it too.  Did you watch the scene that comes after the credits?