Grog Friends and Affiliates > Schwerpunkt PC Wargames

Barthheart's review

<< < (3/4) > >>

spelk:
As I said before, I'm not a board wargamer (or war boardgamer) at all, so I come to it all without expectations. But the thing for me that sets it apart, is that it is straight forward, and you see the die rolls and combat resolution tables, and you see the results - all laid out for you. Plus, its amazing to me how Ron's set of rules gives rise to so much operational flexibility.

You can do as much or as little naval/air and reinforcement/entrenchment as you want in the first phase. Each discipline has a number of options attached, but they all just involve setting a particular chit somewhere with a set method (either offensive, defensive, or even supportive). I think it was RGW where I first saw the likes of air supply, mixed amongst tactical bombing, combat air patrols, search and destroy sea patrols all on the move of one chit. Plus you have ground movement of different types, with layered amounts of move and readying for combat. For a computer based operational wargaming, these sort of mechanics seem quite new and refreshing. Well to me at least.

The chits themselves have everything you need on them. You can scan the map and assess a situation without ever leaving your area of attention. They are an evolution of the boardgame chit, you couldn't have enough glass counters or chit modifiers in the paper version to track everything that is on display with the PC game. But, the PC game does use simple understandable mechanics, coupled together in phases, to provide quite a dynamic experience - even without sound effects and visually seeing your opponents units move about and perform their actions.

Its hard to explain for me, simply because I don't have the depth of knowledge in boardwargames, but theres just something about the coupling of simple elegant mechanics and the step up to useful chit display that makes it an attractive game to play. The UI needs a little wrestling with, but its worth it, if you can grok the system.

Killjoy12:
Can you elaborate a little more on how this compares with the Decisive Campaigns engine?   I really liked WtP and would like to know how WWIIE compares with that engine.

--- Quote from: spelk on January 19, 2015, 05:49:55 AM --- I suppose Decisive Campaigns system is quite close to it, and is a bit more UI friendly and nicer to look at. But it doesn't quite have the boardgamey feel of this title. WWIIE is the rougher diamond, but it still is worthy of a look-see if operational wargames are your thing.

--- End quote ---

Barthheart:

--- Quote from: Killjoy12 on January 19, 2015, 12:33:46 PM ---Can you elaborate a little more on how this compares with the Decisive Campaigns engine?   I really liked WtP and would like to know how WWIIE compares with that engine.

--- Quote from: spelk on January 19, 2015, 05:49:55 AM --- I suppose Decisive Campaigns system is quite close to it, and is a bit more UI friendly and nicer to look at. But it doesn't quite have the boardgamey feel of this title. WWIIE is the rougher diamond, but it still is worthy of a look-see if operational wargames are your thing.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Welcome to Grogheads!

I alpha and beta tested on Warsaw to Paris with Vic. It's a great game too. Very polished and plays very well. I love the card mechanic for the leaders. The Poland scenario is one of my favourites and I have played it ALOT.

First thing I did with WWII-E was fire up the Poland scenario and play it to compare. First off is the time scale WtP is 1 day turns, WWII-E is 1 week turns. So right there you are going to be playing differently. in WWII-E the scenario is only 6 turns (weeks) long! You have a lot to do in 6 six turns or 4 if you want to do as well as the Germans did.

I guess the feel of WtP, to me, is more a tactical game. The units are smaller and the time scale is smaller. There's also a lot going on "under the hood" in WtP in terms of combat. And the combat tracks more losses that WWII-E. WWII-E use combat factors where WtP uses men and guns and tanks to make up it's combat routines.

Both are great games. They both present the subject very well but very differently. 

spelk:
Yeah, my flippant novice comment about WWIIE being similar to DC:WtP was based on similar operational goals and the chits in both games having a lot of information on them, and you being able to decide/assess the situation just from the map and counters. Nothing deeper than that.

Grim.Reaper:
You guys are making it very hard to resist......maybe this will make a good birthday present for me this week.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version