Help me get my graphics card working!

Started by Huw the Poo, March 28, 2015, 04:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

For a while I couldn't even get the PC to boot thanks to UEFI and the fact that my hard drive had spent some time disconnected.  By the time I'd sorted that out I had the 240 plugged back in, and Linux is a bit weird when it comes to loading drivers; the 240 wouldn't work on first boot either, it only worked subsequent times.  Basically, what I'm hoping is that since I haven't tried the 570 in a known good configuration yet, the straight swap will work on Saturday.  Maybe I won't get an output to begin with, but after letting Linux load and then restarting the machine, all will be well.

Fingers crossed!!!

Huw the Poo

Well, I tried absolutely everything, but nothing worked.  The colleague who generously gave me the 570 has offered to take it back to test in his own machine, which I will probably do next week.

The good news is that I've since swapped to a more binary-blob-friendly distro (Linux Mint) and it seems to be handling the integrated Radeon HD8570D much better than the last distro did.  Performance seems to be equivalent to the GT240.  Of course, all else being equal the 8570D should destroy the GT240, but Linux Radeon drivers have a reputation for being awful.

Still, at least I have a very quiet PC for now, with no dedicated GPU at all!  I'll see what my colleague says about the 570.