What is wrong with Firefox?

Started by LongBlade, May 10, 2012, 09:17:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

For years Firefox has served me faithfully, but recently I've noticed a couple of pages aren't working well with it.

Is anyone following the browser wars? What's up?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

I posted that same question a while back and a lot of people have been having problems for the last year or so. I have switched to Chrome at home and I'm pretty happy with it. That said, I am using Firefox right now to type this.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Are you using a lot of add-ons, LB? Those can mess with the performance of FF.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

LongBlade

Quote from: mirth on May 10, 2012, 09:56:25 AM
Are you using a lot of add-ons, LB? Those can mess with the performance of FF.

(I thought someone posted something similar, Gus, but didn't see it for some reason)

Some add-ons. I think my most recent was a server-nation-ID that was kinda cool. That might have done it.

FF is working well here, but it's starting to break on stuff on other gaming sites when I try to log in/register. Weird.

Probably I'll have to start hacking back the add-ons.

Gusington

IIRC FF has also put out some patches/updates in the last year that really f'd things up for me too.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

I removed a few add-ons that I didn't need and the country flag which was just nice to have.

The nice thing is it's easy to remove this stuff. We'll see what happens.

Martok

I've been meaning to ask you guys this: 

Has anyone else been having issues with FF when, after opening up a link in a new tab, and you go to click on that tab, it suddenly becomes a new window instead?  It's been doing this to me on a very consistent basis since I (reluctantly) upgraded to version 11.xx, and it's incredibly irritating.  I honestly almost go mad with rage every time it happens now (I'd estimate around 1 out of every 10 times). 

One odd thing I've noticed:  It seems to happen especially often where the new tab has video embedded. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

LongBlade

I think there's a setting to open in new window or open in new tab. Check your options.

Martok

I know what you're referring to, but that's not the problem.  The issue is occurring when I'm *manually* opening something in a new tab. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

MIGMaster

Quote from: LongBlade on May 10, 2012, 09:17:44 AM
For years Firefox has served me faithfully, but recently I've noticed a couple of pages aren't working well with it.

Is anyone following the browser wars? What's up?

I had the same scenario - I'm using Chrome exclusively now and fairly happy with it.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

MIGMaster

Not like the Chromer we had in "Head" Office - wink, wink, nudge, nudge  ;)

Barthheart

I know I'm about to get a world of flak for this but.....

I use IE 8 at work and IE 9 at home. I've never had any problems on any site ever. 
:)

Staggerwing

I've switched to Chrome for about 75% of my browsing as well. FF has become painfully laggy on many pages and I have no new add-ons or plug-ins installed, other than what I had since last winter. It's not all pages that lag but enough that I'm avoiding FF for the most part. I'll see if they release a fix to what ever fix broke it before going back full time.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys