Main Menu

Windows 10 Attack

Started by Johnnie, May 21, 2016, 04:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

You won't be able to avoid the spying anyway.  Anyone who thinks Microsoft respects privacy settings is incredibly naive.

Swatter

Anytime you click that "agree" button on the legalese page you are giving away all of your rights, because they most certainly throw the kitchen sink in every agreement as a matter of course. Unless you like living in a hole, your actions will be observed, evaluated, and tabulated. I am not worried about corporations, their motivations are out in the open. What I am worried about for the future is government observing your personal data for political activity. Once that happens, we are all screwed then. I can see in the near future the government spying on you about your carbon footprint.

glen55

I installed Windows 10 at the first opportunity, and I think it's the best version of Windows by miles and miles.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Space6ghost

Quote from: Swatter on May 25, 2016, 07:37:51 PM
Anytime you click that "agree" button on the legalese page you are giving away all of your rights, because they most certainly throw the kitchen sink in every agreement as a matter of course. Unless you like living in a hole, your actions will be observed, evaluated, and tabulated. I am not worried about corporations, their motivations are out in the open. What I am worried about for the future is government observing your personal data for political activity. Once that happens, we are all screwed then. I can see in the near future the government spying on you about your carbon footprint.

:idiot2:
I pay full price for Paradox games, deal with it snowflakes.

Huw the Poo

Thanks for your valuable contribution to the discussion.

Redwolf

Windows users get what they deserve.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Redwolf on May 26, 2016, 07:52:20 AM

That's a little harsh, don't you think?

What do you expect the majority of people using computers in the free world to do? Until software developers start making their products compatible with other platforms and OS's, there is simply no basis to attack the consumer who is clearly at the mercy of the industry.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 25, 2016, 03:45:03 PM
You won't be able to avoid the spying anyway.  Anyone who thinks Microsoft respects privacy settings is incredibly naive.

I'm willing to bet they do respect privacy settings. The problem is they make the proper use of the privacy settings extremely difficult, time-consuming, and unintuitive, not unlike the privacy settings on facebook, or other similar platforms.

If Microsoft was caught blatantly ignoring their own privacy settings and rules, that would constitute an unprecedented fraud that would could have drastic ramifications, both civil and criminal.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

jamus34

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 26, 2016, 08:41:24 AM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 25, 2016, 03:45:03 PM

I'm willing to bet they do respect privacy settings. The problem is they make the proper use of the privacy settings extremely difficult, time-consuming, and unintuitive, not unlike the privacy settings on facebook, or other similar platforms.

If Microsoft was caught blatantly ignoring their own privacy settings and rules, that would constitute an unprecedented fraud that would could have drastic ramifications, both civil and criminal.

Oh, I'm sure senior management already had an SOP in place to blame some "rogue programmer" to deflect blame and liability.

And I consider myself not to be one of the tin foil hat wearing cleg, I just have an utter disdain for the elitist upper class / ruling party / senior management who feel they are above the law whether it is legal, moral or general decency. IE the guys who say to company needs to sacrifice in the form of layoffs while still collecting 10MM bonuses.
Accountability starts at the top.
Insert witty comment here.

Jarhead0331

Its really wild to me just how much cynicism is out there.

Perhaps this is just another symptom of why Western civilization and capitalist ideals are on the decline. The belief that all corporations are motivated solely by greed and taking advantage of the masses...but I digress.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

jamus34

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 26, 2016, 08:56:42 AM
Its really wild to me just how much cynicism is out there.

Perhaps this is just another symptom of why Western civilization and capitalist ideals are on the decline. The belief that all corporations are motivated solely by greed and taking advantage of the masses...but I digress.

Not corporations JH, people.

People are fallible. When checks and balances to control human excess are no longer on place you get a breakdown of ethical choices.

Of course when the general population cares more about what happens with the reality star of the day rather than who their leaders are and what they are doing does not leave me with warm and fuzzies for our society.

Sorry for the rants, mods please feel free to delete if my post two posts are to political or off subject
Insert witty comment here.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 26, 2016, 08:38:45 AM
Quote from: Redwolf on May 26, 2016, 07:52:20 AM

That's a little harsh, don't you think?

What do you expect the majority of people using computers in the free world to do? Until software developers start making their products compatible with other platforms and OS's, there is simply no basis to attack the consumer who is clearly at the mercy of the industry.

That is really the crux of the issue. Ok. I like Linux and I'm willing to try it but I can tell you right now it is not a panacea for the woes of Windows. The Linux community does not help itself by being a bit on the elitist side and not working to make Linux EASIER TO USE than Windows. Let me install basic stuff like Juniper VPN without jumping through hoops and we'll talk. Like it or not Windows has a pretty standard install process for any and all software to be installed. I have yet to see that in Linux.

And at the end of the day there are still way too many games I want to play that are not supported in Linux. And I don't have the patience to muck about with Wine and such.

The real goal would be to make Linux as easy to use as a Mac.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Steelgrave

Personally, I don't think all corporations are evil, profit driven steamrollers but there are too many examples of companies knowingly putting out an unsafe item, calculating that the payoffs to survivors and family members will cost less than fixing the item in the first place. All too often, corporations, like politicians, have earned our cynicism. I definitely have good feelings toward a number of companies and those are the guys I do business with, but it's hard to ignore the bad actors, especially in a near-monopoly situation.

But yeah, I don't see using anything other than Windows. They annoy me at times, but I can say the same of my wife  ::)

Huw the Poo

Quote from: DoctorQuest on May 26, 2016, 10:40:19 AM
Like it or not Windows has a pretty standard install process for any and all software to be installed. I have yet to see that in Linux.

Uh....open package manager, find program you want, click install.