New toys for Yskonyn (43" monitor and GTX1080)

Started by Yskonyn, September 28, 2016, 05:21:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

It seems like the biggest price jumps are caused by monitor size and resolution. There are very affordable 27" 4K monitors but the price leaps of you go above 27". Additionally, there are very affordable 32"+ 2k monitors, but again, the price jumps when you go to 4K.

I just can't find a good 32"+ 4K monitor in the 500-700 range.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Ultra wide 4K monitors are harder to find and just now coming on the Market (at least here) and therefore expensive. You'll have more luck finding an affordable 4K 16:9 monitor.
32" is a nice size. BenQ, LG, VisionMaster, iiyama, HP, Dell, Philips all have 16:9 4k's on offer.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Yskonyn

After several days of usage I can wholeheartedly recommend the Philips BDM4350UC if you're looking for a big 4K monitor.
The monitor is perfectly fine for gaming and its colours and brightness are superb! Everything pops from the screen and bright colours seem to really glow.

The OSD offers all the tweaking you may want for the monitor and as a bonus it comes equipped with an USB 3.0 hub. If you connect a cable to one of your 3.0 ports on the pc, the monitor functions as a powered hub with 4 USB 3.0 ports at the back. Handy.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 04, 2016, 11:11:47 AM
After several days of usage I can wholeheartedly recommend the Philips BDM4350UC if you're looking for a big 4K monitor.
The monitor is perfectly fine for gaming and its colours and brightness are superb! Everything pops from the screen and bright colours seem to really glow.

The OSD offers all the tweaking you may want for the monitor and as a bonus it comes equipped with an USB 3.0 hub. If you connect a cable to one of your 3.0 ports on the pc, the monitor functions as a powered hub with 4 USB 3.0 ports at the back. Handy.

I just have trouble accepting that I have to spend almost what my entire system cost on a monitor. Not sure why I feel this way. I've spent more on some optics than I have on the firearms they actually mounted on...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

I broke down and ordered a 40in Seiki. Reviews seemed mixed, but it was affordable and I figured I'd give it a shot.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

bbmike

One day I'm going to play Civilization on my Samsung 50" 4K TV.  :D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Yskonyn

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

I am looking forward to hearing your experiences with it.   O0

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 05, 2016, 05:54:05 AM
I am looking forward to hearing your experiences with it.   O0

I'm getting a vibe that you think I made a poor choice. I know the refresh rate is only 60hz, but other than that do you see anything else that might be very problematic? I took special note of the user reviews that came from gamers and those all seemed positive. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Not at all. My screen is 60hz as well.
The only thing I read some users found were colours that are a little subdued. But that's highly personal.
I am genuinely interested to hearing your experience with the unit.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 05, 2016, 09:59:41 AM
Not at all. My screen is 60hz as well.
The only thing I read some users found were colours that are a little subdued. But that's highly personal.
I am genuinely interested to hearing your experience with the unit.

Thanks...breathing a sigh of relief...Honestly, assuming the thing turns on and works, I'm expecting to be blown away because my entire gaming experience is limited to 1080p. I'm expecting to discover a whole new world with 4K.

Thanks again for all your advice, too.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Monitor came today.

I can't really do a technical review, so I'll leave it at this. So far...wow!

It will take some getting used to going from so many years on a 27" to now being on a 40".
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Cool isn't it?!

At first I had to adjust to the size of the screen and it caused a faint vertigo feeling, which troubled me a bit, but my brain has adapted now and I have no such feeling anymore. Only completely awe for the pictures presented on such a gloriously sized monitor!

Glad you like it! Welcome to the big screen gaming club! ;)

Moreb

Oh sheesh. I'm more confused than not. I don't want to break the bank over a monitor and since I dont play shooters maybe theres an answer that keeps me married?

I bought a  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Hydro Copper Gaming Edition 8GB water cooled GPU for the system. Since I'm such an amateur, I may not notice a huge difference. I think im gonna go for smaller size and better quality. I usually game with the monitor up close on an arm in a recliner. Lazy? Sure. But my manual labor job requires some comfort at home, especially these past few years.

When dongles fly? - mirth