New toys for Yskonyn (43" monitor and GTX1080)

Started by Yskonyn, September 28, 2016, 05:21:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moreb

QuoteI've spent more on some optics than I have on the firearms they actually mounted on...

Sigh. Tell me about it. I have a couple EOTech's on weapons I have never fired beyond sighting. So they sit.
When dongles fly? - mirth

BanzaiCat

Whomever said "size doesn't matter" is obviously full of schijtluis.

Yskonyn

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 19, 2016, 11:15:06 AM

Lol! That would be a weird way of saying it, but why not! :D

@Moreb, you owe it to yourself to at least go 1440p with your GTX1080, otherwise it won't break a sweat and those fans will remain stationary. ;)
It doesn't have to be a big screen, just a high res.
The only drawback to a high res small screen is UI size in games. It might get too tiny to read properly if a game doesn't feature a UI that's scalable.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Moreb

Quote from: Yskonyn on November 19, 2016, 03:50:35 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 19, 2016, 11:15:06 AM

Lol! That would be a weird way of saying it, but why not! :D

@Moreb, you owe it to yourself to at least go 1440p with your GTX1080, otherwise it won't break a sweat and those fans will remain stationary. ;)
It doesn't have to be a big screen, just a high res.
The only drawback to a high res small screen is UI size in games. It might get too tiny to read properly if a game doesn't feature a UI that's scalable.

I'm just wondering if I should get something higher than 60Hz refresh rate. Someone said in this thread that a 60Hz can only handle 60 FPS. I wonder if that holds true always?

I have exactly that display, and love it. I use it primarily on my work machine, but I have run some games on it. Older games will likely not support the full resolution, and you'll want enough GPU to drive it for games that will. If you have an underpowered GPU, even if you can fill the display you'll see poor framerates.

OTOH, if the game will run in a window, you have a TON of screen real estate with a display that size. You can run a game in a 1920x1080 window and have plenty of room left over for having a browser open, for example.

Any dead pixels or light bleed issues?

Yskonyn

60hz is the update rate of your monitor, so any more frames generated by your graphicscard will get lost.
There is VSync which syncs up the graphics card to the monitor so it only pushed forward another frame when the monitor is ready.
The will prevent a phenomenon called screen tearing; if the sync isn't smoothly enough you might see lines coming on the screen with quickly moving scenes where the image gets shifted below the line.
Much like drawing on a sheet of paper, tearing it in half and shifting one side for about an inch.
VSync prevents this, but locks framerate to your monitor's refresh rate.
It also introduces some input lag.

Still, running without VSync only unlocks your graphics card. The monitor set at 60hz will only generate 60 frames per second. The timing might get slightly off due to the high frequency of frames sent by the GPU (hence the tearing problem), but it will never physically update on a higher rate even though you might see 200 FPS in a game's framerate counter. This is what your GPU pumps out.

Now, I play a lot of Battlefield and I can assure you that 60hz is very playable.
If you solely play shooters or you are a competitive player you might need a higher refreshrate, otherwise I wouldn't stress it.

Most 144hz monitors are still only 1080p. These things are pointed at competitive tournament players who value framerate and input lag over resolution.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Moreb

Quote@Moreb, you owe it to yourself to at least go 1440p with your GTX1080

So what would you recommend? Too small UI would be an issue for me as my eyes are not the best anymore and it doesn't have to be huge. I play with the monitor close to my face btw, about 2 feet.

Yskonyn

It depends. If you play games (like Stellaris for example) which feature a UI scale option, there is no limit to monitor size and resolution. You can 'blow up' the UI in those games to have a comfortable size no matter your resolution.

Games like War in te East or TOAW3 do not have such a feature. So the higher your res, the more tiny your pixel gets.

I sit about 3 feet in front of my 43" monitor. It needed adjusting at the beginning, but now that I am used to it I love the screen space and immersion. But some text does get tiny.

A 32 or 27 inch might fit you better. (Or 34" if you prefer ultra wide)
The choice in UHD screens of that size is ok, 1080p choices are royal, but you would be under utilising your graphics card. Go 4K and choices get more limited.
The 1080 is optimized for 1440p and runs 4K quite decently as well. At 1080p it will hardly break a sweat . ;)
Best advise I can give is to go to a shop and get a feel for the size.

Moreb

I'm leaning towards this but just can't pull the trigger. The price tag has me a little worried.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-XB271HU-27-inch-Widescreen/dp/B0173PEX20

Yskonyn

Definately a great monitor and decent size.
G-sync is a nice feature too, but indeed they are expensive.
Its a full blown gaming monitor though.
Colour saturation is a little high, a common thing on gaming monitors to make colours more vivid in games, so it would be less suited for photo editing or digital art applications.
For multimedia its a great monitor though!