Main Menu

iBuyPower

Started by Greybriar, November 10, 2016, 07:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greybriar

My Acer Predator died yesterday morning. :'(

So I am looking for a new desktop computer to replace it. The first one I looked at was the new Acer Predator and I was surprised to see that it was inferior to my old one in some ways. As a result, I thought I would try something new.

I didn't see any ready-made PCs that had all the features I wanted. As I lack the technical know-how to build a PC myself, I thought I'd ask here to find out what kind of luck members here have had with iBuyPower.

So what say you? Is iBuyPower a good place to shop? Are their desktop computers worth buying? Would you buy from them again?
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Gusington

My last rig was from iBuyPower and was rock solid. Their customer service was non-existent but I never needed them. My new rig (bought one year ago) is an Asus. Also very happy with it, runs like a beast. Check out an Asus if you have time. I bought mine through Amazon.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

OJsDad

I'm not sure what your timeframe is or your budget, but have you checked out the black Friday adds.  Might be able to get something good at a good price. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

I had very mixed results from IBuyPower and would not buy another. Seems like three or four of us bought an IBP at the same time a few years ago. I dumped $2.5 k into mine and was expecting it to be a monster. After an initial period where it seemed nothing was working right and customer service was useless, it seemed to settle in and I was feeling like I had made a good deal but it was always noisy (which my wife hates) and ran hot. Mine lasted 3-4 years until the graphics card literally caught fire without warning. One moment I'm playing 7 Days to Die, the next minute I smell something hot and there is smoke pouring out of my computer. I'm in the market again, or at least I am once Christmas is past, but IBP won't be considered.

Greybriar

Thanks for the replies everyone. O0 I had a pretty sweet machine planned at iBuyPower but after seeing what was posted, I think I will shop around a little more.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

OJsDad

Dell and HP have gaming brands now.  Never looked at them, so they may not be that good. 

Best Buy is running specials on the gaming desktops.  If nothing else, looking at the reviews may give you some clues as to who to stay away from   
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Gusington

I forgot...my IBuyPower machine was very noisy too, the whole 4 years I had it. I got used to it, but when I get my ASUS machine I realized how loud the older machine really was.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Con

I have been keeping my eye out on maingear.  They are meant to be pretty fast and quiet here is a link to one.  That being said I havent actually played one.

https://www.maingear.com/custom/desktops/vybe/

I know you havent claimed technical ability to make a PC but I would suggest you price it out.  I went to newegg and priced out pretty much all the same components for a PC such as a Maingear one and I find I get them for about 300 to 500 cheaper (depending on the build).

You might have a nephew or family member who would be willing t help you build it.

Con

Bison

If you want a pre-built system, I'd also consider digital storm http://www.digitalstorm.com.  I personally laid down money 5 years ago on a Talon from Falcon Northwest and it still performs very, very well.  They have outstanding customer service and have provided me with much assistance even though my rig is not longer under their warranty, they still offer to help resolve manufacture warranties if I ever needed it.   It all depends on how much money you are will to output.

I had an ibuypower and it worked very well and as far as I know it's still being used by the person I gave it too.

Steelgrave

I forgot about Digital Storm. They have a good rep.

Greybriar

Thanks, guys. O0

I'm still looking. One of the things I'd like my next PC to have is a Blu Ray drive (I watch movies on my PC's monitor instead of the TV) and it's very rare to see one of those on a PC. So I may have to skip that because I didn't like the computers I have seen them installed on thus far.

Gusington

^I installed a Blu Ray on my iBuyPower myself. My newer ASUS came with one already installed.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Greybriar

^That's probably what I will end up doing. In the meantime I can use the external Blu-Ray drive I have.

Gusington

IIRC last year I bought a blu ray drive for about 50.00.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd