Star Trek Bridge Crew

Started by Jarhead0331, May 31, 2017, 10:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian C

I bought it earlier but got a refund. The reason: the on-screen controls are difficult to access. It wasn't fun trying to press button A on the Captain's chair and taking 10+ seconds to do it.

spelk

Quote from: Ian C on December 28, 2017, 11:48:45 AM
I bought it earlier but got a refund. The reason: the on-screen controls are difficult to access. It wasn't fun trying to press button A on the Captain's chair and taking 10+ seconds to do it.

Is this on the PC (with a controller) or the Xbox?

I had an issue with getting to the main menu when controlling the other stations from the Captains chair. But, I worked out it was because of the wording in the tutorial. It said I had to look at the central control panel, and then press button X(on the PS4). Naturally, looking at the central control panel, from the Captains chair involves looking up a bit. So I naturally thought I had to hold R1 (the right bumper trigger) which is the free-look control, and then press X. No response from X. Unless I let go of R1. Which seemed totally un-intuitive. Having to hold one trigger, and then a button, and then release the trigger. I was having all sorts of issues getting this to feel fluid and natural.

But the words "look at the central control panel" were probably in there for the VR people, and in the non-VR version it just needed you to be in the Captains chair, facing forward. Which is the default position without any triggers or buttons pressed. So essentially, bringing up the menu to flip between orders and stations, was just to press X. This smoothed the process for me.

In solo mode, navigating the ship and focusing on objectives is where the UI can't handle much subtlety. If I want to move the ship towards a beacon, but fire at the gravimetric mines in the way, I have to issue the move with the beacon targetted, then target the mine (and the ship starts to approach the mind instead) then engage target, blow the mine up, then select the beacon again to make the ship move back on course. I suspect having a helmsman and a tactical officer lined up, I can tell the helm to go towards the beacon and the tac can select the mine and fire phasers at it, without all this buggering about selecting items on the local tac map.

Still, it's Trek, and I'm in control, on the bridge. Fiddling with the buttons and knobs, or flying the thing. That's enough for me :)

Ian C

Quote from: spelk on December 28, 2017, 12:15:46 PM

Is this on the PC (with a controller) or the Xbox?

PCwith mouse. That's probably the issue but I generally don't like using an Xbox PC controller because for me, it's a hard to aim at things and I don't like the way you have to steer with one stick and look with another. I find a mouse intuitive and easy to use.  Saying that, I did ok on a PS 1 for a coupla years....

EDIT: maybe I should have used the controller before refunding. I might have enjoyed it more...

Destraex

I don't know why I forgot about this one and non-VR mode. Must have been expensive way back when. The console thing would have put me off as well. Just got this game in the sales and it seems to be fun so far. It is also reminding me of how damned good Star Citizen is already.
I managed to pass the Kobayashi Maru scenario while simultaneously failing it in the both the positive and negative objectives. I transported everybody off and warped out. But I think when the tactical officer finished transporting she probably only meant the first batch?

Not sure how good this game is going to be moving forward through the scenarios though. I get the impression their may not be any actual progression system in the campaign. More like a string of missions to pass.

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"