Consolidated Running Online Privacy/Social Media Issues thread

Started by bayonetbrant, March 25, 2018, 02:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Why is it that everyone wants someone held "responsible" for this, except the users?

Why aren't we holding them responsible for being idiots with a lack of critical reasoning skills?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Quote from: Labbug on April 11, 2018, 11:51:37 AM
Quote from: mirth on April 11, 2018, 11:31:29 AM
Congress needs something to do.

Be careful what you wish for.

I'm not wishing for anything. Listening to the questioning of Zuckerberg yesterday was laughable.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 11, 2018, 11:25:21 AM
Why is it that everyone wants someone held "responsible" for this, except the users?

Why aren't we holding them responsible for being idiots with a lack of critical reasoning skills?

Facebook and its users are culpable.  The users are fools for freely giving away their data, but that doesn't give Facebook license to do bad things with those data.

BanzaiCat

Congress only got on board because they sniffed a PR opportunity to kowtow to voters that (a) take offense to data mining that's been a thing for a long, long time, and (b) are too stupid/ignorant/narcissistic to take responsibility for their own choice to be on said social media platform(s).

mirth

Quote from: Huw the Poo on April 11, 2018, 11:56:03 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 11, 2018, 11:25:21 AM

Facebook and its users are culpable.  The users are fools for freely giving away their data, but that doesn't give Facebook license to do bad things with those data.

It gives Facebook license to do all the things it has been upfront about for years. I've had people after me for years about what I was missing out on by not joining FB. I've explained to them the privacy issues and it always was met with a shoulder shrug.

Now people are pissed about things they should have known about all along. <shrug>

This isn't like ISPs mining your data and selling it. You don't need to use Facebook or any other social media service.

Huw the Poo

To be clear, I agree with you and I don't use social media for precisely the same reason.  I'm just pointing out that Facebook made a decision to misuse people's data, so they are just as culpable.  To use a rough analogy, you're stupid to leave your door unlocked, but someone who burgles your house is still a thief.

mirth

I'm not sure they did misuse data under the TOS. Cambridge Analytica misused data, but FB has been upfront about sharing user data with third parties.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on April 11, 2018, 02:35:08 PM
I'm not sure they did misuse data under the TOS. Cambridge Analytica misused data, but FB has been upfront about sharing user data with third parties.

This.

Getting mad at Facebook for CA's bad behavior is like suing Toyota because people were speeding in their cars
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Huw the Poo

I didn't even mention CA, I said specifically that Facebook misuse people's data.  I don't know whether you guys are just intentionally misreading my posts or not, but I tire of this conversation.  Have at it.

mirth

Quote from: Huw the Poo on April 11, 2018, 02:56:07 PM
I didn't even mention CA, I said specifically that Facebook misuse people's data.  I don't know whether you guys are just intentionally misreading my posts or not, but I tire of this conversation.  Have at it.

Dude, chill. I'm not intentionally misreading your posts. How do you think FB misused user data? It's very possible they did, but I'm not aware of what FB has done that would violate it's own TOS.

They've been shitty about user privacy, but they've also been fairly clear that user data is a saleable commodity as far as they're concerned.

airboy

Twitter admitted to "Shadow Banning" yet another conservative by "accident."

Twitter originally said that "Shadow Banning" was a lie.  Then they got caught in a sting.  Now they got caught shadow banning yet another conservative by "accident."

See: https://www.redstate.com/brandon_morse/2018/04/10/twitter-claims-accidentally-shadowbanned-conservative-journalist/

But hey, the big social media companies are "content neutral" right?  While they sell all your information.

bayonetbrant

They sell your info to anyone with the right size check