Main Menu

Need sound help

Started by MarkShot, July 22, 2012, 05:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkShot

Basically, I am moving from a private house to apartment rental (also walls in Asia are made of concrete).  So, the use of wired rear 5.1 speakers does not seem like it is going to work for me.  Currently, I have a wrap around desk configuration.  The rear speakers are mounted under the peninsula behind me along with the hidden wiring.  However, in my new apartment, I'll probably just have standard desk (no custom office furniture).

Any ideas?

Here is the research which I just sent to my wife:

I thought finding a PC 5.1 system with two rear WiFi speakers would be easy.  The idea being that it would be relatively cost effective as PC speakers are not up to the standards and cost of home theater.

It is impossible.

Logitech had a product, Z-5450, similar to my wired system, but with wireless rear speakers.  However, they discontinued it.  It probably sold for around $500 (mine was $350).

---

Options are:

(1)  2.1 Speakers

Give up on 5.1 sound and go with 2.1 system (basically stereo and subwoofer).  This would be okay for many of my current games, but would be disappointing for some of the games I may want to buy.

(2)  Virtual sound bar/subwoofer

It doesn't seem like this is well matched to PC sound cards.  Additionally, I don't think it is going work well with games that depend on direct sound channels.

(3)  HT 5.1 wireless

You can get complete 5.1 wireless systems as a home theater system, but they include (driven by) blu-ray players.  Not what I really want.  However, there are a multitude of choices.  However the problem would appear to be that they are not intended to be used as receivers.  Either there is no input or only HDMI.  So, it does not appear that one of these kits can be turned into a PC sound system.

(4)  Build it from components

Buy a 5.1 Amp, individual speakers (5 + subwoofer), and wireless components for the rear speakers.  You are probably looking at $1,000 for this.  For PC games, this would seem to be overkill.

(5)  Take my Logitech Z-5500 and modify it

Shipping my current Z-5500 (purchased $350) should be around $100.  (Replacing my direct 5.1 sound system is around $390.)  After that, purchase wireless components to enable the rear speakers ($200-$300).  Total cost $300-$400.

Staggerwing

For option [5] you could try this wifi setup to get the signal to your existing sound rig:
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-Wireless-Transmitter-Receiver/dp/B002BDU95A

It's pretty cheap right now and it gets some fair reviews.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MarkShot

Erik,

I have reviewed the Creative site and I don't see how this product helps me.

As best as I can tell, Creative does not have a solution that provides 5.1 surround sound with two independent wireless rear speakers.  Their solutions seem to provide 2 channel sound via a USB transmitter and single receiver.

What I want is this, but it is not longer manufactured and no one offers anything comparable:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Z-5450-Digital-Speaker-970181-0403/dp/B000AM6QHO

I now have a Z-5500, but the rear speakers are wired.

I know that I can probably build my own 5.1 surround with AMP and independent wireless rear speakers to be driven by a PC, but that will probably run $1000 and be overkill just for games.  We had spent around $1200 on speakers (all wired) (not counting the receiver $600) for our home theater system and the sound is really "kick-*ss".  But I don't need movie theater sound just for games.  In fact, although I'll probably ship our speakers they are probably over the top for life in an apartment.  (It is much easier to crank up your home theater in a private house at night on an acre plot of land than it is in an apartment with neighbors.)

Thanks.

MIGMaster

I used to be a 5.1 geek when it came to everything, err....many things anyway, but I prefer the simplicity of the 2.1 set-up now. I realize that I'm probably sacrificing some positional audio effects, but the simplicity just won out - hands down !

Barthheart

Quote from: MIGMaster on July 23, 2012, 10:45:23 AM
I used to be a 5.1 geek when it came to everything, err....many things anyway, but I prefer the simplicity of the 2.1 set-up now. I realize that I'm probably sacrificing some positional audio effects, but the simplicity just won out - hands down !

Yeah I went this way too in my last man cave realignment....

LongBlade

Quote from: Barthheart on July 23, 2012, 10:58:04 AM
Quote from: MIGMaster on July 23, 2012, 10:45:23 AM

Yeah I went this way too in my last man cave realignment....

I have 5.1 speakers still wrapped up on a box. Broke out the 2.1 simply for ease.

When I'm serious about gaming I put on headphones. Next step is to get the $100 uberbooster that gives 3D sound, but for now, a decent set of headphones is how I roll when I'm serious. Or just want to tune out the TV when I'm in the family room.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MarkShot

I am surprised that you hardcore gamers are not all using 5.1 sound. I thought it makes a big difference playing games like FPS?

LongBlade

Quote from: MarkShot on July 23, 2012, 01:06:43 PM
I am surprised that you hardcore gamers are not all using 5.1 sound. I thought it makes a big difference playing games like FPS?

Headphones are better.

Barthheart

Quote from: LongBlade on July 23, 2012, 01:47:34 PM
Quote from: MarkShot on July 23, 2012, 01:06:43 PM

Headphones are better.

+1

MarkShot

So, do headphones simulate positional affects like 5.1?

Or is it that you are playing MP with a boom mic?

Also, aren't headphones uncomfortable over glass frames?

LongBlade

Quote from: MarkShot on July 23, 2012, 05:23:11 PM
So, do headphones simulate positional affects like 5.1?

Or is it that you are playing MP with a boom mic?

Also, aren't headphones uncomfortable over glass frames?

I think headphones *can* simulate 5.1 but you have to pay for the boost.

I have glasses and my headphones don't bother me, but I can't promise that isn't an issue for every combination of headphones/glasses/people.