Main Menu

Shadow Cloud Gaming?

Started by Jarhead0331, December 11, 2018, 08:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Anybody heard of this service? Its a pretty novel idea. It basically can (purportedly) turn any device, i.e. phone, tablet, labtop, PC desktop, etc. into a high powered rig capable of running the most demanding games. It supposedly does this by utilizing the power of your internet connection. Obviously, this means you'll get better results if your connection speed is stronger.

it is a subscription based service, so this may be an immediate turn off to some...but, I've heard some good things.

Anyway, its too interesting of an idea not to mention...thoughts?

https://shadow.tech/usen/discover

Forget about hardware: Shadow is a full Windows computer you can access through a simple app. Anything you can do on a high-end computer, you can do on Shadow.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

CJReich46

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

JasonPratt

It's the same concept as being able to play PS3 (and PS4?) games on your Sony Blu-Ray purely by internet connection.

I haven't tried it, no need to try it, but it's kind of worth considering.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

DoctorQuest

I can buy offloading the CPU, memory and storage to a cloud device but I don't quite get how they do the GPU? "Shadow's infrastructure relies on dedicated professional graphics card delivering the same performance as a GeForce GTX 1080."

What if I don't have a card that good in my PC?

Be nice to have a bit more than 12G of RAM.

I was looking for some indication of system requirements for your local PC.

Hmmmmm. Wonder if they would let us do a review?
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: DoctorQuest on December 11, 2018, 09:54:47 PM
I can buy offloading the CPU, memory and storage to a cloud device but I don't quite get how they do the GPU? "Shadow's infrastructure relies on dedicated professional graphics card delivering the same performance as a GeForce GTX 1080."

What if I don't have a card that good in my PC?

Be nice to have a bit more than 12G of RAM.

I was looking for some indication of system requirements for your local PC.

Hmmmmm. Wonder if they would let us do a review?

If you're willing to write it, I'm willing to ask. PM me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

bbmike

And if the internet goes down?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JasonPratt

Quote from: bbmike on December 12, 2018, 06:49:56 AM

The answer to that is duh.   :buck2:

I don't think your graphics card will matter much -- it's designed to work on large phones and pads, too. I was looking into something like this for my brother to use for his iPad in accessing my computer to play games on, but the security problems were too whack. (Especially because he works in a bank and they provide his pad, and his pad connects to his own doofy family computer, etc.)

You're basically just streaming video and audio, and sending input signals back to the source to control what output it's streaming back to you. It would be like interactive youtube.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bbmike on December 12, 2018, 06:49:56 AM

Most AAA games these days require an internet connection to play anyway. This system is definitely not recommended for people with a weak or unreliable connection.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

W8taminute

This looks good.

I'm in the middle of trying to figure out if I can fit an upgrade to my internet speed into my monthly budget.  Using the requirements for shadow should make the technical decision a bit easier if I want to use this service.  Wallet permitting that is.... 8)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk