Need quick estimate of shipping costs from Canada to New England: Ending eBay

Started by Staggerwing, August 05, 2012, 02:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

If any of you guys in Canada read this in time, I need an estimate of what shipping would be through Canadian Parcel post for an iMac from New Brunswick to Connecticut (use zip 06457 as an estimate). The auction closes in an hour and the seller didn't include an estimate (probably due to having to figure customs fees and so on). The computer weighs about 20 pounds or so.
The price is very low but I don't want to get screwed on shipping since it is a fixer upper and may turn out to be a dud so it's a calculated risk. I could only generate estimates from US to CA, not the other way.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Arctic Blast

Staggerwing

Quote from: Arctic Blast on August 05, 2012, 02:57:39 PM
Here Stagger, try the Canada Post Find a Rate thing. You'll need the seller's postal code, though.

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/personal/findARate?execution=e1s2

Thanks Blast. I tried that one just now and it only gives me the choices of Priority, Xpresspost and Expedited Parcel. I was under the impression there was something slower and cheaper, IE: Regular Parcel Post. I'm not looking for speed, just cheapness. Have you sent anything stateside recently in the 20 pound range? I just wanted a guess.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 05, 2012, 03:04:55 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on August 05, 2012, 02:57:39 PM
Here Stagger, try the Canada Post Find a Rate thing. You'll need the seller's postal code, though.

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/personal/findARate?execution=e1s2

Thanks Blast. I tried that one just now and it only gives me the choices of Priority, Xpresspost and Expedited Parcel. I was under the impression there was something slower and cheaper, IE: Regular Parcel Post. I'm not looking for speed, just cheapness. Have you sent anything stateside recently in the 20 pound range? I just wanted a guess.

Sorry, man. The only thing of that size I've done recently was a game order from Noble Knight, but that was coming the other way.

And I think that Expedited actually IS the lowest level parcel service these days. There are a few others, but they're for packages under 1 KG or something like that.

Staggerwing

Thanks Blast. I also couldn't get through the value estimator thingie so I don't know what kind of tax&tarrifs I might have to pay. Base shipping would be about $50. It's gonna be a tough call come auction close in about 25 minutes... Do I or Don't I?

Arctic Blast

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

MIGMaster

Shipping is such a piss-off here in Canada. It really limits your competitive edge on e-bay, etc.... When it comes to shipping to Canada USPS is the only way to go  re: duty and brokerage fees - shipping to other countries from here is just deadly due to gas surcharges  and increasing rates. I have a small business acount and it is still ridiculous!!!!