Video cards and new system

Started by demjansk1942, August 09, 2019, 05:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

demjansk1942

Hi,
I have had my system for 10 years now, I7 920 and a few gpu upgrades over the years with a 1070 card for the last two years.  Few Ssd drives and able to run everything.  I o n ly use it for gaming and news info.

What does everyone think about the timing of buying a new machine?  Anything in the works of where pricing comes down? 

Also, best cpu for gaming?

Thanks guys

Huw the Poo

It always comes down to budget, mate.  Give us something to work with.

Recently I bought a Ryzen 5 2600X running with a Radeon RX 580.  It absolutely tears up any game I throw at it.  It feels good to finally have a pure AMD system!

WallysWorld

I am on the verge of replacing my i7-920 that I bought back in late 2009 so I'm ready to get a new system too, demjansk1942.

I have priced out two systems and will be ordering one of them in September. I've been saving up for a few years so I don't mind spending more this go-round.

It's either the i9-9900k or the new Ryzen 9 3900x with a RTX 2080 and a couple of M.2 SSD's.  I've never had an AMD system before though.

I am also adding the following from my current desktop:
960 GB Samsung SSD
480 GB Samsung SSD
LiteOn external DVD USB drive

Don't know whether to install my old Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer or use the new motherboard's onboard sound.

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Staggerwing

Considering how many computer components are made, either partially or wholly, in China I don't think prices will be dropping in the USA. If anything the tariffs will increase the cost of many items. You may actually want to buy components now while they are in stock in the US rather than waiting for future shipments to replenish inventories.

Of course, if you live outside the USA your milage may vary...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Jarhead0331

I know the GTX 2000 Super line just came out. These improve performance for 4K gaming from the standard 2000 cards. Of course, the best is still the 2080ti, which can't be beat. The point is, now that Super is here, the standard 2000 cards should see a price dip.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

demjansk1942

Thanks guys for the info, I still only game at 1920x1080.  Still good for me.

SirAndrewD

I just landed a $100k deal for my company on Tuesday, so yeah, I'm starting to price a new rig myself.

Even with a good commission check to play with, I'm STILL on the fence on popping on the RTX2080 TI. 

I'm not going to pull the trigger until December, but I'm really leaning towards the Super and saving a bit off the top for other things.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

WallysWorld

Since I use a 1920x1080 25 inch monitor, I'll just be getting the plain RTX 2080 to go with the i9-9900k and not the Ti version until I get a bigger monitor.

I have priced out a pretty expensive setup from Memory Express and I'm just waiting until the beginning of September to order it. After saving up for almost three years, it's starting to eat at me to order it.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

SirAndrewD

Yeah, I'm in the same boat.  I was saving all last year and just had the big check hit my account this month, so now it's hard not to pull the trigger.   

The monitor is a thing.  I'm still on an LG 1920x1080, but with the big sale I know have enough to consider going ultrawide 4k.   

I do occasionally cast to my 4k capable TV as well.   

I kind of wonder, does anyone game on one of the ultrawide 4k's?   What's it like for standard non-4k gaming if you do?   

I can see it being awesome on things like IL-2 Sturmovik or Elite Dangerous.  But on wargames, I'm not sure on how the experience it will be squeezing it down.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

demjansk1942

I game with my LG monitor which is actually a tv monitor.  It's 34". 

By the way, I am not up on the 4k stuff, does it make a big difference and the high resolution levels beyond what most of us play, really worth it?

I would like to see a game like Battlefield 5 with the differences.  I bought my computer from Digital Storm, good build.

WallysWorld

As Jarhead mentioned about the RTX 2000 Super's, I am now thinking of saving at least $100 to $150 CAD and getting a RTX 2070 Super instead of a RTX 2080.

PassMark Software's benchmark shows the 2070 Super only about 5-6% slower than the RTX 2080.

PassMark's video card benchmark

demjansk1942

Wally

That's a high rated cpu
How is it working?

WallysWorld

Hi demjansk1942,

I haven't ordered the new system yet, but I plan to right after Labor Day as the i9-9900K's are on sale.

Since I am still on 1080p and don't plan to go to a higher resolution yet, I think I will get a RTX 2070 Super and not the RTX 2080. It's a savings of about $250 CAD that I just compared today and the 2070 Super for 1080p games is quite enough.

If anyone does want to see my final specs before I order, I'll list them here. It's quite an expensive system I picked out, but I've been saving for a while and don't want to touch anything in the new system for a long time before upgrading something.

demjansk1942

That will work fine, I play all my games in 1920x1080.

Let us know how it all works and then you need to play Battlefield 5.

CJReich46

Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 09, 2019, 07:19:14 PM
It always comes down to budget, mate.  Give us something to work with.

Recently I bought a Ryzen 5 2600X running with a Radeon RX 580.  It absolutely tears up any game I throw at it.  It feels good to finally have a pure AMD system!

I'm looking at one too, Huw. I'm just trying to do my homework. I thought about building but I can look at components forever and it drives me crazy with information overload. So I'm looking at getting a pre-built system.

Nice thing is where I work I can get components like SSDs, or HDDs cheap.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose