Main Menu

Dropbox

Started by Bison, August 08, 2012, 04:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Anyone use this service?  I'd be interested to hear some feed back on how well it works or doesn't.

Keunert

i use it for work: never had a problem works like a charm
rather cheap for what's it doing:

i have all files on all different stations, it's my only backup system
allows to work local, in two years not one crash

only minus:

if you buy an account, it is only an account for one user.
you cannot share let's say the 100gb with your wife
to share your family pics: bot would need an account or she
will only have access to the  500mb free space that everybody can get.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Keunert

btw works well for pbem: we used it for AT Gold, it's free to get an 50mb account, everybody saves on the shared folder,
no hassle who's turn it is, or who the turn has: with the correct naming everybody can check who is next to play
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Bison

Quote from: Keunert on August 08, 2012, 04:16:28 PM
btw works well for pbem: we used it for AT Gold, it's free to get an 50mb account, everybody saves on the shared folder,
no hassle who's turn it is, or who the turn has: with the correct naming everybody can check who is next to play

That was one of the primary reasons I was looking at it.

mirth

Dropbox is great. Convenient and easy to use. A free account gets you 2GB of space. There other things you can do to earn more free space.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

undercovergeek

i use it for CMBN Pbems - its a great tool, very easy to set up in 2 mins

bayonetbrant

I've used it for some work files.  Never had a problem with it.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Grimnirsson

Same here, nice tool :)
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

undercovergeek

i wonder if we talked him into it  :)

mirth

Here's one article on ways to get additional free space-

red66.com/2012/03/dropbox-free-space-22gb/

I used the author's referral link to set up a new account and got an extra 500MB (the article says it's good for 250MB).
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

TheCommandTent

Ok now you have me intrigued about Dropbox.  Although I'm not sure I actually need something else downloaded on my computer.

Can anyone play devils advocate and tell me why I don't need or shouldn't get Dropbox?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."