War on the Sea coming soon! (from Killerfish Games)

Started by JasonPratt, April 03, 2020, 04:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: Rayfer on February 23, 2021, 07:04:51 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on February 22, 2021, 05:00:39 PM
Hi all.  Quick update for you.

I've logged in about 26 hours of gameplay since getting the game.  I've played the campaign game exclusively. 

My short answer is: This game is fun but you only earn chump change from your weekly income whilst the ai can spam everything at you ad infinitum.  Campaign is broken and I'll shelve the game for now.  Too bad.  It's fun but resource income is way too low to keep up with the ai.

I'm having a blast with the Custom Battles, so much so I haven't even looked at the Campaigns yet.  In CB's you can pretty much set up any engagement you want.  I just wish they would address the way you select ships and planes in setting up a battle, it assumes you know a ships type, light cruiser, heavy cruiser, etc. by a ships historic name. I haven't played in a couple of weeks so maybe it has been fixed?

Isn't the class there written on the top margin above the silhouette when you add ships?  As in XXX class heavy cruiser?  As far as I know it has always been that way.

Rayfer

Quote from: MengJiao on February 23, 2021, 12:25:03 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on February 23, 2021, 07:04:51 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on February 22, 2021, 05:00:39 PM
Hi all.  Quick update for you.

I've logged in about 26 hours of gameplay since getting the game.  I've played the campaign game exclusively. 

My short answer is: This game is fun but you only earn chump change from your weekly income whilst the ai can spam everything at you ad infinitum.  Campaign is broken and I'll shelve the game for now.  Too bad.  It's fun but resource income is way too low to keep up with the ai.

I'm having a blast with the Custom Battles, so much so I haven't even looked at the Campaigns yet.  In CB's you can pretty much set up any engagement you want.  I just wish they would address the way you select ships and planes in setting up a battle, it assumes you know a ships type, light cruiser, heavy cruiser, etc. by a ships historic name. I haven't played in a couple of weeks so maybe it has been fixed?

Isn't the class there written on the top margin above the silhouette when you add ships?  As in XXX class heavy cruiser?  As far as I know it has always been that way.

Yes, but what if you thought you were selecting a light cruiser but was in fact a heavy cruiser. You can delete it but the drop-down selection window reverts back to the top so you're left scrolling back down looking for a heavy cruiser again and still not knowing which ones they are....if you get it wrong again it's rinse and repeat.  It's minor irritation but something they should fix.

Toonces

Quote from: Toonces on February 22, 2021, 10:17:20 PM
Yeah, I'm refunding it.  This game might be a good "game" but it's not scratching my itch at all.  Really too bad.

Well, I did something I've never done before: I re-bought a game I previously refunded (this one).

I read about a Tokyo Express mod on the Steam forums and it sounds fun so I decided to give the game another try.  I put in an hour yesterday and...I'm still not really enjoying the game all that much, sadly, but I'm going to stick with it.  I'm going to try to re-frame my thinking and enjoy the game as a game - what it is rather than what I want it to be.

I figure there has to be $30 worth of goofing off I can do with the editor and other missions and such. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

W8taminute

Update:

It's been several weeks/months since my last update and my last gaming session with this title.  Bored to death with the game because campaign mode isn't fun at all.  Takes forever to save up enough resources to build anything.  Meanwhile the ai stomps all over you with unlimited resources. 

Regret buying the game however I will keep it on my hard drive for a time just to see what I feel like in a few months. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Sir Slash

Damn. I was hoping THIS would be the Naval Battle game I could finally get into.  :'(
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Jarhead0331

The Steam reviews have been significantly improved as of late and the overall consensus is very positive now. I took this as a good sign that the patching was leading somewhere.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Toonces

W8, have you tried the Tokyo Express mod? 

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1280780/discussions/3/5671690972174045737/

There is a LOT in there, too much for me to copy/paste so you'll have to go to the linked thread, but it sounds like it really dramatically changes the campaign gameplay.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

Lemme see if this works:

Main features:
Campaign
New ports added. The darker interface. The "Sturmalex's Gridmap". "TTE" mod.
A Screenshot of War on the Sea
By: the Baron
Both imperial and american campaign rework. Special missions added and some reworked to give a bigger challenge for the player. Land battles are more deadly. To keep the supplies coming to the frontline is now more important. A complete AI missions rework with new fleets coming from Pearl Harbor, Australia and Truk. Fleet carriers patrolling key locations to make the campaign more challenging. Much more variety in the fleets number and formation to keep things more interesting. Map reworked with new ports. The player can now recruit ships from Australia. A level 5 airfield is also present on Australia. The ports added are: Cooktown; Cairns; Lae and Buna. The japanese campaign starts at day 7 with american forces already landed and fighting to keep control at Henderson Field. Both campaigns start with Henderson Field already being a level 1 airfield so be very careful. I strongly recommend doing your invasions at night. Start date changed to 5/8/42 to give players enough time to reach Guadalcanal at day 7. (usa campain) BBs TF added to both campaigns. Could take a long time for a player to see a BB, well not anymore. Have fun fighting big guns. Many hours spent in improving AI sea missions, fleets variety, testing, reworking bases to make sure all is working and the players will get a more challenging and fun campaign. Port Moresby is an important objective for both campaigns. In TTE all night battles are deadly, fought in close quarters.

Air Power I (carriers)
Carriers historical loadouts. New 24 planes air formations. "TTE"mod.
- Historical planes loadouts for the carriers.(Shokaku 27/27/18) (Yorktown 37/37/16 July 15 1942 loadout)
New 24 planes squadrons, with air formations reworked to support the new squadron size. Maximum air size per battle is now 72 planes (24 in stock game) CAP following carrier.( Deploy scout with 1km range and select the option clockwise) Scouting ranges increased to 400km

Air Power II (historical loadouts)
Kingfischer squadron attacking sub with mark 17 depth charges. "TTE" mod.
- New loadouts options for all fighters and scouts. Historical depth charge loadout applied to the Avenger. Jake is now a dive bomber scout (*)
* TTE JAKE DIVE BOMBER option to install - NEEDS TTE HISTORICAL LOADOUT option installed to work (enable by default).

Air Power III (airfields)
Zero carrying 2x60kg bombs. "TTE" mod.
4th squadron added to the airfields. Airfields planes loadout reworked with more focus in bombers.

Air Power IV (data)
- Rework stats for all the planes. Historical ranges, maximum speed and climb rates applied to all planes. Dive rate doubled for all planes. Medium/heavy bombers speed nerf 20%; small bombers speed nerf 10% nerf to make them balanced against fighters and to simulate the payload weight. Avenger rockets removed since they were not used in 1942. (Added as an option to install)
*NOTE: scouts and fighters don't get a penalty on the loadout to not penalize the player for using them in auto scouting operations, since is not possible to choose the loadout this way.

New sea formations
New sea formations. "TTE" mod.
Now all fleets will use the new formation system from my previous mod. Expect to see dds scouting , a better convoy system and capital ships well defended. Transport numbers reduced to prevent AI spamming troops. (version 2.0)

Environment rework
TTE. Darker nights v2
Darker nights v2 .Several parameters tweaked to give a more dark atmosphere to the night. Slighty reduced visibillty underwater. Vastly increase the trees number and size.

Historical Battles
AI missions created and reworked to give you the opportunity to play the following battles: Battle of Savo Island ;Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands & Battle of the Eastern Solomons and the naval battle of Guadalcanal. (usa campaign)

Silent hunter experience
Reduced water visibility. "TTE" mod.
Sonar reworked to make it easier to detect subs. Dive rate improved a little. Crush depth reworked. Historical test depth. Solo merchant ships added to the campaign. Sub visibiliby reworked. The player should now be able to run on the surface in dark night conditions without being spotted. Careful if around 1500m or less from an enemy. Now you as sub captain will face the same problems they had at ww2 when attacking surface fleets. Sometimes you will find yourself in a difficult position to attack. What you will do? Launch the attack from a long distance or rush in the surface to get into a better position?

Minor features:
Magazine explosion! "TTE" mod.
- Magazine explosion probality increased to 20%. Ships go BOOM!
- All ships main battery gun arcs reworked with much more wider angles of attack. (horizontal gun arcs)
- Historical Japanese torpedo ranges.
New menu. "TTE" mod.
- The mod menu screen.
- Rockets damage reworked. The armor values affects the rockets damage performance.
- No more waiting to disengage from battle. Is your game, play the way you like.
- Cargo rebalanced for warships. Now both DDs and CL can carry supplies. CL carry more in comparison to a DD.
- AA rework. The AA range reworked to historical values. Flak damage improved.
New campaign experience for both usa and japanese. TTE.
- Historical photos added to the campaign.
- Historical troops number at Guadalcanal/Florida in the 6/7 night (japanese campaign)
- A new darker interface implemented.
- Supplies, engineering and fuel values for each week vastly increased.
- More dramatic flooding mechanics implemented.
- Mark 14 & Mark 15 american torpedo dudrate at 50%.
- Base detection range enable on the campaign. (50% the real size)
- Sunset reworked using real data. One air operations hour added.
- TF cruise speed increased.
- Magazine capacity doubled in all destroyers; cruisers; battleships; carriers.
- Sonar ranges reworked.
- Sonar strength reworked.
- Propellers directions fixed in all ships/subs (* Feature implemented in game v1.08d8 )
- Campaign difficulty reworked.
- Battle difficulty reworked.
- Campaign map zoom improved.
- No more radar for the japanese subs.
- SD radar for the Tambor sub class. (9km range/only air search)
- Ferry ranges applied to all planes (courtesy General Douglas)
- Test depth: 91m( Tambor & Gato ) 121m Balao ; 274m Tench (courtesy General Douglas)
- Japanese subs names changed to Type-B (B1) and Type-B Mod.1 (B2) (* Feature implemented in game v1.08d8 )
- New system for lauching planes. Planes without a payload will not give you a cooldown. Launch as many planes you wish. No more waiting because a scout plane was launched. (* Feature implemented in game v1.08 )

And much more...

I want to thank the devs that made modding the game a possibility and all the modders and players who help me with suggestions and add ons to the modification overhaul. All of you are what made this project possible.

I can only wish you guys have an excellent and fun game experience. That was my goal from the beginning. Happy hunting, the Baron.

Download and instructions to install here:
https://app.box.com/s/w5ydv8cs2r35l1a2357g7k6mvbwf88nz

W8taminute

Toonces that Tokyo Express mod looks good.  I'm a gonna have to give that a shot.

Also good to hear the latest Steam reviews have been trending positive towards the game. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Toonces

Please do, brother.  I think we're both at the point where we own the game, so let's see what we can do with it.

W8taminute

Quote from: Toonces on June 23, 2021, 08:44:34 PM
Please do, brother.  I think we're both at the point where we own the game, so let's see what we can do with it.

Will do.  Yup we seem to be stuck with the game now so might as well make the best of it.  I think that Tokyo Express mod has a lot of promise to it.  Especially with the allowance of forming 24 plane squadrons instead of the vanilla 4 plane units.

Toonces

I haven't spent any time with War on the Sea since the last post, but I just re-installed it.  It seems a very big patch was recently released, and the Tokyo Express mod has also seen quite a few updates.  I can't comment on the updated gameplay since I'm just now installing, but it sure sounds like a lot of people are investing a lot of energy to make this game better.

Old TImer

The Tokyo Express Mod looks pretty amazing.  Would you recommend the game now with
the Mod or is it not good enough?

Toonces

I simply haven't spent enough time with it to say one way or the other.  I'll be sure to post some feedback once I log some playtime.

W8taminute

Quote from: gregb41352 on September 30, 2021, 06:53:23 PM
The Tokyo Express Mod looks pretty amazing.  Would you recommend the game now with
the Mod or is it not good enough?

I can definitely recommend the TEM.  I've played a couple of hours of it in the past few weeks.  The game is a lot more interesting with this mod than without it.  I'm speaking primarily about the sandbox campaign. 

It did crash on me a couple of times however.  Once during the beginning of a battle and once after exiting a completed battle.  Those were the only two issues I saw in about 6 hours of game time.