Old World from Soren Johnson

Started by RedArgo, April 14, 2020, 01:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Senex

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on April 13, 2022, 12:47:09 AM
Quote from: Gusington on April 12, 2022, 01:36:22 PM
The oldest is and always will be Windy, despite his chronological age.

Do I get Extra Credit if I'm over 50 and have multiple kids who aren't yet teenagers?

Raising pre-teen children will get you months off your time in purgatory.
Teenagers will get you decades.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

FarAway Sooner

Classic responses here, gents!  I appreciate the wisdom/resignation of the board in this regard.   :arr:

bobarossa

Quote from: devoncop on April 12, 2022, 10:07:43 AM
For anyone like myself eagerly awaiting the chance to buy Old World on Steam.....release date is 19th May...a couple of days from my birthday. Its fate !

Be nice to play a game like this with very competent AI and it may be an expansion will be released simultaneously O0
Appears to be releasing on GoG at same time.  WooHoo!

bobarossa

Uh Oh, from GOG forum posted today:

"Posted on Discord 5/11/2022
The May 19th release of Old World on GOG is only a week away, and our team is excited to see preparations being made across our community. We are grateful to all of you, as always; however, today we have some not-so-great news that we need to share.

As you probably have noticed, Old World is a very wordy game. We have over 3,500 events in the main game, and the Greek campaign in the upcoming Heroes of the Aegean DLC (which is free for the first two weeks) contains many hundreds of new, custom events. All of that text added up to hundreds of thousands of words, with new events being written up to the end of last month. Unfortunately, this quantity of work meant that the translations will not be fully complete by our May 19th release date. The work will be finished by the end of June at the latest, and we are hoping it will be ready and available before then.

We are very sorry that the complete translations will miss the release date as it is the first time we have had to delay a part of the project. However, we believe that delaying the release to deliver a higher quality is better than releasing what we have and pretending it is good enough. We hold our community in high esteem, and our priority as a team is to make sure we let you know the situation.

If you still want to play the game with the beta translations (which contain most of the game's text but may have some errors), they will be available on release day on our public Test Branch and will be updated frequently in the following weeks. The seven available languages will be French, German, Spanish, Russian, Japanese, and both simplified and traditional Chinese.

Thank you so much for all the support you've given us over the years; as you might already know, over half of our team originates from the community. Thanks again for believing in us, and we appreciate your patience. ~ Leyla Johnson"

Anguille

I am fine playing it in english for now.  :bd:

bobarossa

They didn't list english as one of the available languages the way I read it.  Also I want it on GoG and I don't know if the beta is available there.

Anguille

Quote from: bobarossa on May 13, 2022, 01:58:56 PM
They didn't list english as one of the available languages the way I read it.  Also I want it on GoG and I don't know if the beta is available there.
English is the only language available from the start. The others are only in the test branch.

Gusington

Coming this Thursday - been looking forward to it for more than a year!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Me too....its been a LONG year.

I think the tutorial is as the Greeks but I want to get my hands on the Assyrians or the Egyptians ASAP for my first playthrough. Rome is very powerful but too predictable I think and the other civs can wait.....which one will you go with first (after the tutorial ?)
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

FarAway Sooner

Think about the academic challenge in games like this if you just made players play each faction in their native language.  How many grogs would be learning the Greek alphabet or Latin to play the games from the classical period?  French to play as Napoleon, or German or Russian if you wanted to play anything about the Ostfront (and by the way, did the Russians call the Eastern Front the Western Front?)!

The opportunities for academic betterment here are immense!     8)

devoncop

My love of PC gaming is immeasurable but my horror and ineptitude  in learning foreign languages would trump any devotion to gaming.

I am after all British, a nation infamous for its unwillingness to learn the languages of others.  :idiot2:

At least I could play English Civil War games though ;)
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

JasonPratt

The Soviets called their side of WW2 The Great Patriotic War.

They officially called their western front three fronts: North, Central, and South; although those were composed of Northern Front, Leningrad Front, Byelorussian Front, Western Front, Kiev Front, and Odessa Front (plus I think a 7th I can't recall atm). These were based on the Special Military Districts (local military governments) set up along their western frontier: the general in charge of each MD transferred directly over, with his staff, to the equivalent Front Commander. And then each main front group got a special commander (like Zhukov for South Front group).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bobarossa

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 16, 2022, 11:40:10 AM
The Soviets called their side of WW2 The Great Patriotic War.

They officially called their western front three fronts: North, Central, and South; although those were composed of Northern Front, Leningrad Front, Byelorussian Front, Western Front, Kiev Front, and Odessa Front (plus I think a 7th I can't recall atm). These were based on the Special Military Districts (local military governments) set up along their western frontier: the general in charge of each MD transferred directly over, with his staff, to the equivalent Front Commander. And then each main front group got a special commander (like Zhukov for South Front group).
Spoken like a true Grog.  I think the simplest answer is that they only had one front so it was the Front.

Gusington

DevonCop once I get a handle on Old World, I am thinking of trying as Persia, if they are a playable faction...now that I stop and think, I am not sure if they are...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd