Main Menu

Need Another Desktop

Started by airboy, August 26, 2020, 05:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

We have bought a second home in the NC Mountains.  I don't want to haul my Falcon Northwest Desktop back and forth.

What I'm looking for:
1] Desktop
2] Runs Windows (including Office)
3] Liquid Cooled (no exception - my last air cooled sounded like a jet engine)
4] I am not building it.  I do not have the skill set and don't want or need to learn.

My gaming needs are pretty low.  I don't play shooters.  I don't do VR.  I don't do flight sims or high end train sims.

What do I play - Wargames, 4x Strategy, RPG and occasional other things.  I write enough reviews that what I do and don't play are known to many.

I'm leaning towards another Falcon Northwest desktop.  I looked at Newegg - but everything there is air cooled.  Alienware is out because their systems are air cooled.  I've had two liquid cooled systems and they are so quiet I never plan to go back.

I realize the Falcon's are way, way overpowered for the gaming I do.  But I've never had one go bad (other than replacing a video card) and they are sooooo quiet. 

I'm willing to entertain other options.  My fear is that I'm going to end up with two high end gaming rigs if we move in the next couple of years full time - so I'm willing to go down to a lesser system if I can get it liquid cooled.

Gusington

I too am getting a new desktop soon and I too would like a liquid cooled rig. Recommendations welcome! Apologies for the hijack.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Dammit Carl!

No suggestions, but post pics after you get your goods.  Love to see peoples' setups.

Jarhead0331

I'm surprised air cooled is such an issue for you with your list of needs. Wargames, 4x titles and strategy fare aren't typically too demanding on the GPU or CPU and don't really trigger the fans. Liquid cooling is usually for high-end systems that run AAA games that really raise the heat inside the box.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

My only complaint about my current rig is the noise from the fans (it's an Asus). Other than that it has been a great gaming machine. And I do play a lot of AssCreed, Witcher 3, Total War and similar games. I am hoping my first game on the new rig will be AssCreed Valhalla.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

Still very happy with what I got from iBuyPower last December.  All name brand parts except case had their brand.  Case is a mid tower...very robust.  ...and yes, liquid cooled, well the gpu cpu is.  Cant say its quiet though...but not loud enough to bother me.  Sound is mostly from the case fans.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Con

I would go back and recheck the Alienware specifically the Aurora model. In the customization options they offer several different liquid cooling setups.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

100% good track record with Cyberpower. 

Trick with them is to make sure you buy all name brand parts.  Getting any no-name part, ESPECIALLY the PSU ends up causing grief for a lot of users. 

My last three rigs I got from them all still run, one after more than 10 years even though I downgraded it to just a media server.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

MengJiao

Quote from: SirAndrewD on August 26, 2020, 07:37:05 PM
100% good track record with Cyberpower. 

Trick with them is to make sure you buy all name brand parts.  Getting any no-name part, ESPECIALLY the PSU ends up causing grief for a lot of users. 

My last three rigs I got from them all still run, one after more than 10 years even though I downgraded it to just a media server.

I agree.  The key seems to be the generous size of their cooling space.  And some parts (eg. the ethernet receivers can be a bit cranky), but the basic machine are quite robust.

Gusington

I have bought from iBuyPower and Cyberpower in the past and never had any issues...both machines are still working, used by my daughters.

My budget is 3000.00, including a monitor, which I would like to be a 35".

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

airboy

My budget is 6k max including monitor and Windows Office.

Anguille

I wish i had the budget you have guys! You can really buy some cool machines with that amount.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: airboy on August 27, 2020, 03:29:40 AM
My budget is 6k max including monitor and Windows Office.

SIX THOUSAND!?!?!?!

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

airboy

Working 3 jobs concurrently for 30 years, investing, and coming very close to a heart attack as a result has some payoffs.