Dune movie coming in October 2021

Started by steve58, September 09, 2020, 02:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

:'(

Pretty much was inevitable. 

If it increases the chances of the second half getting made then I'm all for it though.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

solops

Dune - Another one?  Hollywood is bereft of ideas, hence all of the retreads and the mining of comic books for material. Maybe not always a bad thing, but indicative of the lack of ideas, imagination and creative writing talent in the entertainment industry.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

solops

Sorry. Should not have posted that (but really!). My mom told me not to say anything if I had nothing nice to say. I hope it is a good show. It does not look like one I would like based on the appearance of the characters. A lot of people are putting their time and money into it and I hope they pull it off and are well rewarded.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Sir Slash

Good point. My Mom would cut a switch at some of my posts.  :-[
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: solops on October 06, 2020, 11:06:51 AM
Dune - Another one?  Hollywood is bereft of ideas, hence all of the retreads and the mining of comic books for material. Maybe not always a bad thing, but indicative of the lack of ideas, imagination and creative writing talent in the entertainment industry.

To be fair, it's only been tried twice before and both times left a lot to be desired. 

The Lynch version really failed to capture anything except interesting aesthetics.  It missed the mark on a lot of central themes of the book, to the point of actually being utterly contrary to them.  Lynch himself disowned the film and refuses to talk about it unless pressed. 

The SyFy miniseries better represented the book but looked awful due to budget, and was pretty poorly cast.  It also made some story concessions that hurt a lot of the themes.  A better attempt for sure, but a lot to be desired. 

The best they've done was the Children of Dune miniseries which covers book 2 and 3.  I'm 100% satisfied with that one and no, I don't think any remake on that is either necessary or justified.

So, while I tend to agree with you that Holywood is a retread, there is at least room for this to be tried.  This looks like the first time someone's getting it "right" or at least insofar as I could tell from the trailer. 

I'm a huge Dune fanboy so of course I would say these things.  ;)
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

airboy

^ Even if you don't get this Dune anytime soon, College Football is back and you and your bride did not come down with the plague!!!  :bd:

SirAndrewD

Quote from: airboy on October 06, 2020, 02:55:29 PM
^ Even if you don't get this Dune anytime soon, College Football is back and you and your bride did not come down with the plague!!!  :bd:

After Saturday's game I'm not sure I want College Football back.   :-\

But yes, my wife not getting sick while immune compromised is a win.

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Sir Slash

I know nothing about Dune, but this looks good to me.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

how have you missed Dune all of these years?
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

MOS:96B2P

Uberhaus

Chani never comes to me in my dreams.   :'(

(Probably because I'm short, fat, old and hairy (except on the front of my head!))

fran

Looking fwd to this, I may be brave and return to a cinema  ;D

Sir Slash

I saw the Dune movie from way back in the, 80's was it? It didn't impress me but I saw enough to know there was far more to the story than what was in it. Loved the Worms.  O0

Jarhead0331

Have to agree that this version is looking absolutely fantastic. Would love to see a game made with this aesthetic.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18