Guys, there's a War Total Rome game coming! ...uh, Total Rome War. um...

Started by JasonPratt, March 26, 2021, 04:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

I just remembered another thing Rome2 stopped you from doing. Rome2 also stopped you from effectively managing your garrison forces.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

MengJiao

Quote from: IICptMillerII on March 27, 2021, 10:51:37 PM
Silly me, I forgot that this is 2021, and that the world is in rapid decline. Thus, so is general reading comprehension.

Rome 2 bad. Rome 1 good. Rome 1 remaster much good. Very excite.

I understand now.  I mean, now I understand.

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on March 27, 2021, 11:03:06 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on March 27, 2021, 07:05:18 AM
Quote from: Destraex on March 26, 2021, 08:57:13 PM
Meng. I thank you for your constructive negativity just then  :clap:
Can I ask if you play it for the tactical battles primarily?

Good question.  For about the last two years I played it, I only played Rise of the Republic and mostly only to photograph tactical battles.  I do recall my favorite battle long ago, when I had a pretty good though small force of armored horsemen and faced a larger army of not-quite-so-armored horse men.  I dismounted my lancers (not called that) in the woods and commanded from the very point of the disposition and managed a win against what seemed like big odds.  I have to say that I've never thought of Rome total War II as a very serious game -- I think it has to be played with a lot of childish glee -- but that's why I like it.  Same for World of Warships and War Thunder.  For serious games, I play boardgames.
I actually thought of the old Total War games as the best computer simulation we had of ancient tactical battles. I looked forward to them getting even more simulation like with more and better understanding of ancient battles hopefully coming with it. Back then the only alternative was field of glory. Which was much more gamey. Move forward to rome2 and we actually had tactical battle mechanics removed instead of improved on and added to. Then their were the engine issues which made them turn off the amazing graphical detail that came with version 1 of rome2 because it killed peoples computers, thus we ended up with LOD problems that made that childish glee of watching the battles turn to watching flags bounce up and down as mobs of suddenly skinny bereft of all detail black ants wrapped around each other.
This with a lot of campaign mechanics simply added to make sure you do not stay ahead for long.

As for tactical battles in board games. I don't know how these could be more serious? What does total war lack compared to board games? Apart from the turn based limitations?

As usual, I never had any of the weird problems people are always happy to report.  I thought the Rome II battles worked fine.  I strongly suspect most of the supposed "problems" with Rome II were worked into the frenzy of internet hysteria that seems to be associated with the cottage industry of hating Rome II.
   I hope Rome Re-Zero-ed works fine for all its wanna-be fanbois.

Destraex

Meng. Don't take it so hard. It's nothing against you if you like it and some of us do not.
You liked it and did not see what we did not like. You had none of the "supposed" problems some of us had. I have no problem with that.
I am not sitting at the other end on this keyboard hating you. I usually find your posts informative and enjoy your commentary. Peace man.   O0
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on March 28, 2021, 07:20:03 AM
Meng. Don't take it so hard. It's nothing against you if you like it and some of us do not.
You liked it and did not see what we did not like. You had none of the "supposed" problems some of us had. I have no problem with that.
I am not sitting at the other end on this keyboard hating you. I usually find your posts informative and enjoy your commentary. Peace man.   O0

Sure.  I'm trying to come to terms with my bewilderment.  Part of it is, I'm pretty much totally over total war altogether.  I'm not even going to mess with Troy total War.  I think my submycenean Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition campaign world will be more realistic.  So, I hope everybody has a fine time with Rome remastered and put my negativity down in the "admits he's confused, bewildered and actually not even interested in Total War these days" column.

Jarhead0331

I've always been a huge fan and defender of the series. I remember when the original shogun was announced and they released a demo. I loved the flavor and concept so much, I swore it might be the last game I ever play.

I stuck with the series ever since, and although my interest has fluctuated over the years depending upon the subject material, I still think, overall, Total War is one of the greatest strategy game series ever made. I will never understand the hate for any of the traditionally themed titles. For the most part, nobody else comes close to holding a candle to what total war accomplishes. Yeah, the quality of the AI has varied, and there isn't the utmost of adherence to historical accuracy, but that is not what total war has ever been about. It's part of the reason why warhammer was such a good fit. Finally, the haters who complain about medieval or Roman armor being off by a few decades, or not having the appropriate sheen just had to STFU. I didn't play Britannia, I barely touched Attila and I didn't care for the Chinese title, but I still love the series and give credit where it is due.

Anyway, I haven't looked too closely at this remaster, but I loved Rome 1 and I loved Rome 2, so I'll probably get this.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

MOS:96B2P

Quote from: Destraex on March 28, 2021, 02:26:14 AM
Another good video.
I must say I am impressed by the rome remastered features.

Good video.  This looks interesting.  I have Rome Total War II Emperor Edition but have not played it in a looong time.  I may give this remastered version a try.

Gusington

Like JH, I have loved TW long time...it's one of my favorite series and I have played it since the original. I have slowed down a little in my TW consumption...for example I just got done with my first campaign of Thrones of Britannia (enjoyed it a lot even though  I got my ass kicked as Gwynned), and the Warhammer TW games have befuddled me a bit with tons of lore previously unknown to me. But I still enjoy the series. Next is Three Kingdoms TW. And once Troy TW comes to Steam I will get it.

Also there is a pre-order discount over @ Fanatical:

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/total-war-rome-remastered?utm_source=Push&utm_medium=Push&utm_campaign=totalwarrome

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

That video above was very well done, thanks for posting Des.

And the teaser at the end about a possible Medieval 2 remaster...GIGGITY. Only thing better than that would be an announcement of Medieval 3.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

I quite enjoyed Rome 1 but for some reason Rome 2 never resonated with me like the original, or M2TW.  I don't really notice most of the negatives of Rome 2 that the real fans of TW see.  It just got too...hard...for me.  I absolutely loathed the food system (I have since modded that out) and, personally, I never grooved on the city management aspect of any of the TW games.  I am a full-blown "auto-manage" guy for the cities.  Which isn't available in Rome 2, which meant I was forced to play city builder.  I just don't find that fun.

So I'm definitely excited to see what Rome 1 Expanded brings to the series.  I've bought Rome 1 a few times, physical twice and on Steam, so another $15 isn't a great burden.  I've long since shelved all of my physical games for digital copies.

With any luck this new Rome 1 will be well-received and lead to similar treatment of Medieval 2.  Now that prospect makes me very excited.  Loin moistened even.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

AchillesLastStand

Quote from: Gusington on March 28, 2021, 11:21:02 AM
Like JH, I have loved TW long time...it's one of my favorite series and I have played it since the original. I have slowed down a little in my TW consumption...for example I just got done with my first campaign of Thrones of Britannia (enjoyed it a lot even though  I got my ass kicked as Gwynned), and the Warhammer TW games have befuddled me a bit with tons of lore previously unknown to me. But I still enjoy the series. Next is Three Kingdoms TW. And once Troy TW comes to Steam I will get it.

Also there is a pre-order discount over @ Fanatical:

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/total-war-rome-remastered?utm_source=Push&utm_medium=Push&utm_campaign=totalwarrome

Not the best discount but better than nothing. Will purchase it there then, Thank you!

Gusington

^I thought the same...but picked it up. I'm weak! But at least I know I will play it as soon as I will get it.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

CJReich46

Intrigued.

Price tag isn't bad either. Especially since you get Alexander AND Barbarian Invasion as well.

I just wonder if Ptolemy is going to be well...the goofy  look they had or did they fix that?  :hide:

I bought Rome TW back when I got my last PC, and it was a blast to play and MOD (I must have tried all kinds of mods for it from Arthurian Total War, to Europa Barbaroum,  Darth Mod, Roma Surrectum)

Yeah I might get it. If I can get the discount yeah, if not no worries.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Crossroads

I have Rome Total War and Alexander (and Barbaric Invasion) as discs, two first ones at my Steam library, but of course I will purchase this. Roma Surrectum is and remains the game I have probably clocked the most hours, ever.

(Total War Empire, as second, likely. I never cared for the colonial side of it, just happy to blunder the Europe with my Swedes. I am one of those that did not much care for Rome II, mostly because of the battles just weren't the organized business as with the old engine. I do like my squares square. But that's just me. )

I did not preorder though, there was not yet a chance to enter the disc key or whatever for the 50% off, want to make sure I get it.

Edit: Sorted, the price changes as I took the first step to pay it.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Gusington

You were able to enter your old disc keys and get a discount??

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd