Guys, there's a War Total Rome game coming! ...uh, Total Rome War. um...

Started by JasonPratt, March 26, 2021, 04:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

^^ Phew, thanks for qualifying that particular information!  ^-^

At the risk of sounding snooty, while I don't entirely discount IGN and various generic gaming mags, I'll give more weight to dedicated military gamers. That said, neither do those results conflict with my expectations.

It was amazing (and still is, objectively speaking!) that the original game could be seriously modded so well, with all its problematic engine limitations. If this game just opens up the code to modding more easily, that will be worth something. (Though with epic mods in RTW2, I don't care yet.)

At the end of the day, this may be best considered as a financial investment toward developing MTW3.

But I'm not going to hold my breath on that, nor complain about its absence. Creative Assembly finally gave fans two things we had been asking for (myself included) for ages: Warhammer TW, and Three Kingdoms TW, in super-deluxe packages (and with more WTW on the way to finish out a full map trilogy). Along with what amounts to a deluxe remake of the British Isles campaign for MTW1. Regardless of how hit or miss those entries have been, the devs do have the fans in mind.  :smitten:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Played it a little at lunch today...  I only put an hour into the game, so take this with a grain of salt.

I loved it when it first came out, and it was a first day buy for me back in the day.

But here in 2021, after having played Rome II for years, I'm sorry to say I'm not feeling love for this remaster...yet.

After playing today my first thought was: "Glad I got it with the previous owner discount."  I feel like all I bought was patch.

I thought the game was going to offer up all the factions, and previous expansions.  So far, it is only giving me the Imperial Rome campaign with three initial factions.  Guess I have to "unlock" the others. Maybe the expansions are in there somewhere and I just haven't found out how to get to them... or maybe its just 'silly me' for not reading the fine print.

Anyway, it is on the hard drive so I'll plug away some more...maybe it will grow on me.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

^Me too. There was a pop-up that appeared when I first launched it that described how to unlock all the factions but it disappeared before I could read it.

I also cannot find the Alexander or Barbarian Invasion campaigns...hoping they unlock the same way.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Just relaunched it again and the Barbarian Invasion and Alexander campaigns are available on the game launcher screen, on the left hand side, where it says 'Select Game.' The original, BI and Alexander are listed there.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

And upon further tinkering, factions can be unlocked on that same launch screen...top left row, forth button over is a gear labeled 'Advanced' and under there is a tick box to 'Unlock all base game factions.'

Mildly infuriating location to put this stuff but there it is.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Gusington on April 29, 2021, 12:59:25 PM
And upon further tinkering, factions can be unlocked on that same launch screen...top left row, forth button over is a gear labeled 'Advanced' and under there is a tick box to 'Unlock all base game factions.'

Mildly infuriating location to put this stuff but there it is.

Thanks, I see how to get to the factions and go to the expansions now.  You are right, "mildly irritating" and not intuitive...but oh well....
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

^You're welcome. Reviews on Steam are mixed at best but I think this is mostly due to unreasonably high expectations. It's a modernization not a complete overhaul.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Boggit

Quote from: Gusington on April 28, 2021, 06:09:55 PM
I still say that Thrones of Britannia is very underrated!
I agree. I think it got an undeserved bad press. It has some awesome siege maps.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

Quote from: Gusington on April 30, 2021, 07:54:11 AM
^You're welcome. Reviews on Steam are mixed at best but I think this is mostly due to unreasonably high expectations. It's a modernization not a complete overhaul.
I might get it after all. Just noticed a naval mod being worked on and a new ROME TOTAL REALISM mod in the works!!!!! :notworthy:
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Boggit

Destraex

Nice try with that naval mod. Here is what I play when I feel the need:

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Gusington

Holy crap Boggit!

I'll be starting a Scipii imperial campaign at some point this weekend.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Boggit

Quote from: Destraex on May 01, 2021, 01:04:04 AM
Nice try with that naval mod. Here is what I play when I feel the need:

That looks interesting. Is it a Rome TW naval mod or another game? I'm intrigued. :)